10 week old chick lost ability to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JesikaD01, Feb 19, 2013.

1. JesikaD01

JesikaD01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    We were out of town for the long weekend and came home to one of our 10 week old chicks acting strange. When I picked her up her neck looked kinda hunched but I thought she was just trying to get away from me but when I put her back in the coop I noticed her almost crawling so I got her back out and put her on the ground and she could barely walk. Today I went back out and she didn't even try to walk. She is alert and chirping and is eating and drinking...any ideas?

I have searched a little and saw something about wry neck so I went and brought her inside and got her Tri-Vi-sol and vitamin E. any other suggestions?

If it matters we had just put them outside last week. Our last batch of chicks had a Cocci outbreak so I know what that looks like and she doesn't appear sick (lethargic) thanks!

2. JesikaD01

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    bump

3. JesikaD01

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    please help...she is getting worse

4. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Sounds like Merek's disease.
    Do a search on google or here on BYC. I'll search too, and try to find you some info.

5. JesikaD01

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the reply

I have looked at Marecks but no one else has any symptoms and she was hatched from an egg that our chickens laid

6. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I would continue the vitamins and see how she does. Make sure it's Poly Vi Sol without the iron. Just because she is the only one with symptoms doesn't mean it isn't Marek's, from what I understand 10 weeks is a bit young for Marek's to show up, though it is possible. The only way you would know for sure is by having a necropsy done.

7. JesikaD01

May 19, 2012
    Atlanta
    Thank you! she defeintly has something weird going on with her neck as well that is what made me think wry neck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by