10-week old chick with suddenly weak, wobbley legs

ChikieLyn

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Central Valley, CA
I have a 10-week old BCM chick that we noticed about 6 days ago wasn't walking quite right - not enough to remove him, but something wasn't quite right. He kept right up with the others, so there was really nothing to alarm us.

Yesterday when we put him in a larger pen with more birds the problem was more evident and had gotten worse. He "sat down" a lot, or laid down. When he walked he was clearly wobbley, like he had just gotten new legs and didn't know what to do with them. Sometimes they splay out. He was fine before this.

We brought him in the house yesterday to try to see what was happening with him. He's been in the house 2 days now with no blood in his stool, no diarrhea, very alert and alive, not weak at all (except in his legs). He eats and drinks fine. Appetite is great - loves his freeze-dried meal worms.

He's been raised on Purina Start and Grow and has had grit and plenty of water available at all times. I took a video of him to show the issues he's having and put it on You Tube, hoping someone might be able to help us. We're new to chickens and this is the first problem we've had. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMSBrTHMt0

Any
help or comments would be welcomed. We did put some Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins in his water, which he is drinking. Thanks for taking the time to take a look.

When I first saw your post I though that maybe the others were not letting him eat and he was getting weak but after seeing your video I'm think that he looks pretty good other then the walking. Wondering if it's Merricks. I could be wrong but that's my guess...I hope someone else has an idea. Have your birds been vaccinated for Merricks? I know it lives in the soil for years so can pop up in any bird if you have it or had it in the past. Good luck!
I would google Merricks in chickens and see what you can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom