10 week old chicks, fluctuating temps....

May 22, 2020
Texas
I have a question, about these upcoming fluctuating temperatures and rain we will be having. This last batch of chicks are 10 weeks old. Will they be okay in the chicken tractor, or should I keep them in their coop? The normal routine has been tractor during the day, 1 hour supervised free ranging before sunset, teacing them then to go to their coop for sleep. I don't want them to get sick, or die. This will be my first winter with chicks of this age, here in Texas. Thanks in advance for any/all feedback.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-001127_Weather.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-001127_Weather.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 39
They should be pretty well feathered and able to go out, I think the common age for people to move them out is 8 weeks.
If there is away to shut them in the roosting part at night, i would use it. sometimes chicks can't quite figure out where there supposed to go and gets stranded. just until they get the point, maybe a week or so.

They should be pretty well feathered and able to go out, I think the common age for people to move them out is 8 weeks.
If there is away to shut them in the roosting part at night, i would use it. sometimes chicks can't quite figure out where there supposed to go and gets stranded. just until they get the point, maybe a week or so.
Thank you, I just wanted to be sure they will be warm enough outside during the day, and inside the coop at night... during those cold snaps. I will keep a close eye on them though, for any signs of distress. :)

They should be fine with those temperatures. Whatever routine you're working on with them, keep going with it. Above all, make sure they're out of the wind, that's what steals their heat. If you intend for them to go to the coop every night, continue with that - just make sure there's no draft wherever they roost for the night.

They should be fine with those temperatures. Whatever routine you're working on with them, keep going with it. Above all, make sure they're out of the wind, that's what steals their heat. If you intend for them to go to the coop every night, continue with that - just make sure there's no draft wherever they roost for the night.
Hubby put barn tin on one end of the chicken tractor: on 3 sides and the top, for the winter, to block the wind and create a sheltered area for them. Their coop is very cozy, I'm almost jealous, it has less draft in it than this old house of ours. LOL!! He made this new baby transition coop really tall, so the vent windows are up higher close to the roof, and the air will stay off the babies. I will be so glad, when we can integrate them with the main flock though. Gonna be a few more weeks at least.

Back
Top Bottom