10 week old cockerel protects flock!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauralou, Jun 21, 2008.

1. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    We had to cull our flock rooster due to excessive aggression. We have really missed his protection of the hens. Haven't missed being flogged by him at all...

We have (3) 10 week old cockerels.

Yesterday evening, we were sitting on the back deck, relaxing, and all of the chickens were roaming around on the ground near the deck when one of the cockerels gave the "danger from the ground" alarm. (Yes, we speak chicken-ese!) He was strutting around between the hens and the bush country that is our back yard.

So we jump up and start looking, "What does he see?" Well, there was a groundhog about 150 feet away, an old gray fellow, grazing on clover.

I know, that's really not terribly dangerous, but we were so proud of our little man!

[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

3. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    What a good boy! We have some the same age. One likes to "guard" the run fence from our Beagle. I decided he's a keeper.

4. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    What a hero! [​IMG]

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I know! We're so tickled about it! Our girls free range, and I worry. A rooster really is a great source of protection for them. They just seem more alert to danger than the hens are.

We bought our previous rooster as an almost-adult, and he hadn't ever been handled. So, I've been handling our little guys as much as possible and they're very sweet. (So far.) We also have another cockerel from a later hatch. He's a tiny little cutie, another Dominique. I hope I get a great rooster out of the bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by