10 week old cockerel with possible sprain/fracture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buffalowingz, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Buffalowingz

Buffalowingz Chirping

Jul 5, 2016
    Vanessa, ON
    Hi all, I need some help figuring out what to do. I have a 10 wk old copper marans cockerel that I believe sprained his leg but closer up near the top by his hip (pulled muscle maybe) he is getting worse over the past 3 days. I dont know if I should make some sort of a splint or device and bring him in to keep him immobile, but where the injury is makes it difficult to brace in any way. Is my only option to cull him? He is my favorite boy and I would hate for this one to end up in the pot. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky Songster

Jan 22, 2019
    Salem, Illinois
    Can you wrap it with co-flex? The stuff used for horses?

3. Norcal527

Norcal527 Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Sacramento area
    If it were me I'd put him in a small crate with food and water so that he doesn't move around too much and see if that will help after a few days of not moving...

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Hopefully it's merely a sprain or strain. Treat him with a baby aspirin (81grain) twice a day for pain. It can also help reduce the inflamed tissue. Look for swelling if it's a fracture or sprain. Look for green bruising for a strain.

Immobilizing him is best, and I recommend a chicken chair or hammock if he will tolerate the confinement.

Here's what they look like, courtesy of @Eggcessive
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Buffalowingz

Buffalowingz Chirping

Jul 5, 2016
    Vanessa, ON
    I will try. I'm on my way to a supply store to see what they have. Thanks for the advice

Ms Clucky likes this.
  6. Buffalowingz

Buffalowingz Chirping

Jul 5, 2016
    Vanessa, ON
    Thanks so much I will try this. He is getting big so do I just put a paper towel behind his bum to deal with the poop?

7. Buffalowingz

Buffalowingz Chirping

Jul 5, 2016
    Vanessa, ON
    How much baby aspirin can I dose him at? He is about 3 /12 lbs to 4 already. He is big so fast!

Sequel likes this.
  8. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The hammocks have a hole cut out for the poop to fall through. Put the paper under it to catch the mess.

One whole 81 grain baby aspiring at at time, one in the am and one in the pm.

Sequel, chrissynemetz and Eggcessive like this.
  9. Buffalowingz

Buffalowingz Chirping

Jul 5, 2016
    Vanessa, ON
    Thanks! I could only find adult aspirin in my area, so I will have to look up the difference/dosage. I will be getting him settled in a hammock when I get home.

azygous likes this.
  10. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Aspirin - for pain relief. Dosage is approximately 25 mg per pound of chicken's body weight each day – (A standard baby Aspirin is 80 mg, and a standard adult Aspirin pill is 325 mg). This information is from the Poultry Podiatry website. Warning: aspirin thins the blood and should not be used if internal bleeding is suspected or in cases where a wound will not stop bleeding.

Sequel and Buffalowingz like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: