10 week old cockerel without feathers on back

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1WildHairL8tr, Nov 8, 2007.

1. 1WildHairL8tr

1WildHairL8tr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I posted this in the sickie section of this forum and thought maybe it belonged here instead:
    My 10 week old BR cockerel is almost bald on his back. I just noticed this yesterday -- only noticed when he stretched his wings.
    There are the beginnings of feathers growing (black stalks piercing through the skin) and there are still quite a few baby feathers on the perimeter of the bald area.
    I read in Backyard Poultry magazine that cockerels can take longer to feather, but none of the others have this problem.
    The skin itself is healthy looking -- not red, no parasites or irritations seen.
    Is this normal? I feel horrible -- I hope he's not been too cold at night!
    I can't access my photobucket account for some reason, otherwise I'd post pics.
    Thanks!
    Cathi

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

NORMAL! Cockerels of some breeds in particular are very slow to feather on their backs and the sides of the neck. Ten weeks is pretty late to really be that bare, but it happens.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I too had a rooster like this. He was extremly slow feathering and looked so silly with feathered legs and wings, but chick fluff body! If he's your only one, I bet it is genetics. If you breed him with fast feathering girls, you'll have some feather sexable chickens!

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My new black orpington cockeral did this very same thing when he was growing out...normal!....

5. speckledhen

Some of you remember how Suede, my Blue Orp boy, looked! He was pitiful!
    **Cathy, I deleted your post under Emergencies since you have some answers here already.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  6. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Whew! I was worried! Poor fella -- he does look pretty silly ... and chilly!
    Thank you!
    Cathi

** Thanks for deleting the other post, Cynthia!

7. speckledhen

Cathy, does this make you feel better? My poor baby was so bald for so long, but now Suede is quite the happnin' dude, LOL. He's only about five weeks old here, but still, same thing-long time feathering out.
    [​IMG]

8. 1WildHairL8tr

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Oh my gosh! Poor guy! I bet he had a hard time with the chicks! [​IMG]
    Mine isn't that bad. He needs a name! We've already used Curly (a la "3 Stooges") for the bald-necked turken. I'll have to think of someone else who is follicularly challenged.

Finally got into my photobucket:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I looked through the posts, no one explained to you what those black stalky things were. Those are called pin feathers, the barrier of the feathers coming in. What I do with my chick, since no one wants to help groom her neck, is a gently pinch the white part, so it's more comfortable for her, the white stuff falls off, and she's much more comfortable. It is kind of gross, but I don't mind it. That's my little confession [​IMG]

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thats a good one Speckled, heres' my slow guy at 4 weeks next to his sister.

[​IMG]

And here he is at 11 weeks. You can't really tell from that pic, but that fluff of feathers on his rear side... that's all he has... the rest on his back are worn down chick fluff and a hand full of pin feathers.... He's got bare underarms too! hahaha.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by