1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old cockrel question?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4acresNachick, Jun 23, 2011.

1. 4acresNachick

4acresNachick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I started out with 9 RIR chicks that I raised from 1 day old. 5 I gave to a family whose current layers where getting old, out of the 4 left 1 turned out to be a boy. He is by far the friendliest but I ordered all pullets and was not planning on keeping a roo. Now for my question. How old do they have to be to start reproducing? I put him and the 3 pullets together with my 4 1yr old hens and after about 2 weeks he started trying to mate with all the older girls. He is almost 11 wks old and I am wondering when he could start fertilizing eggs. If I don't want that does he need to be separated? I am still undecided about having a roo at all so when I saw that I couldn't believe my eyes. I guess I'm still thinking of him as the little chick in the brooder but I obviously has other ideas [​IMG] Any help or advice would be great. Thanks!

2. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I searched how old to fertilize eggs in this forum and I found a thread that said somewhere between 16 to 18 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by