10 Week Old EE Mystery (as usual) - Boy or Girl?

Suburban Sprouts

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I have three 10 week old EE chicks (if you can really still call them chicks ). Out of the three, I'm very confident that two of them are girls, but this third one is throwing me for a loop. This is my third batch of EE babies and every other time I was able to tell the boys from the girls by 6 weeks, 8 weeks at the latest. However, this one has me confounded... There is a reddish color coming in on the wings, but it's really muted and soft. The comb is just as large as one of my girls and just as red as another one. See pictures below and tell me what you think along with how confident you are about it. I have a new home lined up for this baby if he is, in fact, a HE. But I don't want to string the person along if it's a girl. And if it is a boy (and I get a bunch of 100% positives from the more experienced crowd on here) then I want to get him to his new home so he can settle in and get used to things.

So, what do you think? Are you so sure it's a boy that I can send him off to his new home? Or do I need to keep waiting to confirm?

that's a cockerel based on comb (big, 3 rows of peas, and red) coloring right now doesn't say much (if i was going by color i would say pullet), the red/mahogany color you look for on the wings on cockerels is 10x's deeper/darker than that

I don't have much experience, but your chick looks a lot like my little pullet did at that age. She was yellow instead of gray, but she was throwing me off, too. Her coloring said pullet, but everything else screamed cockeral (especially her comb).

Others here have more experience, so I would go with what they say, but I would think that your chick is almost for sure a pullet... Good luck with whatever it is. It sure is a pretty chicken. :)

Last edited:
Does the comb seem to change color? Bright red at times and then pale at others? Then I would say pullet based on coloring. This will be interesting...an EE that doesn't follow the rules...Please post updates. And a shot of the tailfeathers would be great, too. It does look like its getting some saddle (and maybe sickle) feathers.

Last edited:
I have a Mt. Healthy sexed "pullet" that could be your pullets twin, she's been keeping me guessing for a while and she's about 3 1/2 months old now. She's got an upright tail and a fairly flat comb that's has much more color than her sisters',. She has no saddle feathers, but comb is getting redder by the day at this point. She's either going to lay or crow any day.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/r570/chism77/?action=view&current=baf24bdd.jpg

Last edited:
I say cockerel, you can see the thin saddle feathers already coming in
i dont see any saddles coming in yet as its a 10 week old chick. saddles dont come in till about 13 weeks old and sometimes even later than that same on the hackles and sickle feathers

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom