10 week old hen, head down. Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tjogowin, Apr 9, 2017.

1. tjogowin

tjogowin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Alvarado
    She is a 10 week old hen. Not sure what breed, she has feathers on her feet and very sweet. She came out of the coop this morning normal, few hours later she was standing with her nose to the ground, I thought she broke her neck. She has[​IMG] progressed to laying down with head turned, eyes open and clear, she is not eating but will drink with eye dropper. No mites found, no injuries found. Help!!! What can I give her? I moved her indoor in a crate so I can take care of her.

2. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Does she have something stuck in her throat?

3. tjogowin

Mar 27, 2017
    Alvarado
    How do I tell if something is stuck in her throat?

4. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    Look into her mouth and make sure there isn't something in her mouth or wrapped around her tongue. Gently feel her neck for hard lumps. Is her crop full? Don't squeeze it when you check.

5. tjogowin

Mar 27, 2017
    Alvarado
    My husband and I checked with a flash light, looks clear all the way down, her corp fills empty.

6. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    How is she this morning? What color are her stools or is she passing only water? Try to get some yogurt and electrolytes in her.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is her neck still twisted or turned down? That could be wry neck, a neurological symptom that can be from a head injury, vitamin E or B1 (thiamine) deficiency, and sometimes from certain diseases such as Mareks. I would give her poultry vitamins that include E and thiamine, and a little chopped egg daily for selenium, a mineral necessary for E absorption. Will she eat and drink? She may need to be assisted to get enough fluids and food. Adding a lot of water to a small bowl of feed may be easier to eat while you are holding her several times a day.

I am just editing this because I saw another post on another thread where you said her neck is limber instead of twisted down or to the side. So that is different from wry neck. How do her legs and wings feel? Are they limber or paralyzed as well? Is her neck still totally limber or is she just having trouble holding it up do to weakness? Dehydration can cause weakness. Coccidiosis could also, but it causes lethargy, runny poops with mucus or some blood, puffing up, and refusal to eat as other symptoms. That is treated with Corid. I would keep up the poultry vitamins for now until you decide what is going on.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  8. tjogowin

Mar 27, 2017
    Alvarado
    Hi, yes same hen. I wanted to get it on a few threads. Any help at all is appreciated . Tonight she moved her wings, I'm not sure about her legs. Her neck is still very limber, her pop is running, none today (white/yellow). I'll continue with the vitamin and add cored?

9. Lelilamom

Feb 28, 2013
    Continue with vitamins, try to get some yogurt and wet food into her and start her on Corid if you haven't already. Follow the directions on the pouch for dosage.

10. tjogowin

Mar 27, 2017
    Alvarado
    Thank you, I'll go buy the Corid this morning and start that. I was going to offer miliworms this morning (liquidifief) is that a good idea? I was going to add DE to her food mix, is this a good idea? Thanks for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by