10 Week Old Light Brahma has Swollen, Slightly Cloudy, Right Eye

Jun 17, 2020
Hello All!

I am a new chicken owner and have 4-10 week old chicks! My lovely light Brahma has just developed a swollen, slightly cloudy right eye. She is eating, drinking just fine and there is no nasal discharge or any other issues besides the eye. I have started putting Vetericyn Eye Wash on it just yesterday but I want to catch whatever it is early so it doesn't take her down : (. Just today I noticed her scratching her eye before I put the drops on it, she lets me pull down the eyelid and I don't see anything in there. She is still able to open and close just fine,and I don't notice any issues with sight. I have noticed a very slight cloudiness. **Please see pictures**

If there is any insight or advice into it, I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you for any and all help!

**I have read through a ton of threads and can't find anything similar to what she has, I have suspicions of Coryza, and other infections but I just can't be sure as she seems totally fine other than the eye**

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 19
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 11
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 11
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 10
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 9
  • B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 9
  • B7.jpg
    B7.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 13
  • B8.jpg
    B8.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B9.jpg
    B9.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 12
Thank you, I have been putting drops of Vetericyn Plus 3-4x a day. I have noticed her scratching it though. I bought Terramycin, should I try putting that one her eye or wait to see if the drops help?

Next time you treat her, take a torch and see if you can see a scratch or little raised lumps on her eye. It will be easier to see with the light at an angle because the scratch/bumps will make a shadow. Don't shine it straight in her eye, especially a strong light; if it's uncomfortable for you it will be uncomfortable for her.

If she has little bumps, they are ulcers. It is a reaction from an injury or infection. They may take a couple of weeks to heal. You should definitely keep treating her. I think changing to Terramycin will do a better job clearing it up with it antibacterial properties.

Back
Top Bottom