10 Week old light brahma hen with abdominal straining

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmBoy0214, Jul 15, 2018.

1. FarmBoy0214

FarmBoy0214 In the Brooder

Jul 15, 2018
    This has been going on for two days now. All 7 other hens are fine except what I've observed from one of my light Brahmas. They are 10 weeks old now. She just stands or sits there constantly contracting her body. Didn't think this looked normal which is why I'm posting here. Nothing out of the ordinary on her physical exam either. And she's drinking and eating from what I can tell. Her vent looks fine. Only past medical difficulties I've had with my two light Brahmas are pecking at there tail feathers but some blue kote fixed that. Thought I could rule out egg bound due to there young age. And sort of ruled out constipation because I've seen her pass normal stools recently. This is my first time raising chickens so I'm not sure if I'm over reacting or if something is actually wrong.

Any information is welcome and thank you.

2. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Chirping

Feb 21, 2015
    Indiana
  3. FarmBoy0214

Jul 15, 2018
    I have not I'll take a look at it now. Thank you!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her, how she is sitting/standing? A video of her actions may be helpful as well - upload video to youtube then provide us a link.
    Poop photos would be good too - if possible place her on some paper towels or a puppy pad to get a good look at the poop:)

What are you feeding her?

It's hard to know what's going on - do a through exam - check her crop to make sure it's empty by morning, look through her feathers for lice/mites and consider having a fecal float to check for Coccidiosis overload and worms.

Do what you can to keep her hydrated, if she is hunching up see that she is staying relatively warm (75-80F).

Look forward to more info and photos/video.

micstrachan likes this.
  5. FarmBoy0214

Jul 15, 2018
    Here's a quick video from the first day and today of what I'm worried about with her.

They eat Purina premium poultry feed: start and grow non-medicated.

Didn't find anything wrong on a through exam. No lice/mites. From what I've seen and felt with her crop she is staying hydrated. I'll check it tomorrow morning when they wake up. They also stay warm and love to sun bath.

Thank you for the help, hope the video helps.

*From my own research she might have a respiratory infection?

6. rebrascora

rebrascora Free Ranging

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Yes I would agree that she is suffering from respiratory distress, but difficult to say what is causing it..... whether it is an infection or something else. How is her body condition? Is her breast bone reasonably well covered or sharp under the skin?

7. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Respitory disease. Why is her butt PURPLE?!

8. FarmBoy0214

Jul 15, 2018
    That was blue kote. They pecked there tail feathers really bad as chicks in the brooder so there feathers are still stained.

9. Nats Chickens

Nats Chickens Crowing

Jun 20, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Ahh.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the video.
    She does look like she is having difficulty breathing - does she have any other symptoms like cough, sneezing, runny eyes/nose, wheezing, rales, etc.?

I'd still be inclined to treat her for Coccidiosis. Can you get some Corid at the feed store?
    Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: