10 week old lost a toe...and she's fine??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PamB, Sep 5, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    So, we found an entire toe in the run today. I know it just happened because today was their first day in the run. I also know how it happened. A few of them slipped though a hole in the wire frantically because a dog was in the yard. We were out there with them finishing the run and watching them at the time. The strange thing is that besides being a little off balance at times because it is an outer toe, there was no blood or any other evidence that she was injured. The only way we figured out it was her was because of the off balance thing. We have silkies and some have four toes and some have five, which made it difficult to figure out who was missing one. I took her inside and washed the foot and put some neosporin on the empty spot. I guess I did what I supposed to do, I just think it is soooo strange that she wasn't bleeding.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had a couple with foot injuries and they stopped bleeding pretty fast. So long as the others don't start pecking at the spot, I'd guess she will be fine. Chickens are pretty resilient creatures.

Good luck.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for your reply. They are not picking on her at all because, really, you can't even notice that it is gone. She seems to be walking fine now too. I just found that so odd. I would have thought losing an entire toe was a pretty big deal!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I knew chickens were resilient creatures, but I admit, I am surprised. Interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by