10 week old meat bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by farmer0311, Jan 27, 2017.

1. farmer0311

farmer0311 New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    This is my first post. Hopefully I posted in the correct spot.

I have a German Shepherd Dog that loves chicken. Unfortunately he got one of my reds today by wringing the neck. I shot my pistol into the ground which is what saved the other three, but it was too late for this girl. Anyways, I was hoping she would be older before I used for meat. I would hate to waste this bird though. The chicken is decent size, but her legs are skinny. Will it be worth the hassle? I don't even have a space prepped for butchering/ defeathering project yet. Do I need to butcher immediately? What supplies do you keep on hand? I will try to post a picture. Thanks for the input.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I don't know how old your girl is (was) but you could give it a try. I know Cornish cross are usually ready by 8 weeks. I think you should process right away though. Just scald for a few seconds in some almost boiling water and the feathers should come right out.

3. farmer0311

farmer0311 New Egg

Nov 5, 2016
    I got it done within an hour or so of death. Sitting in the fridge now.

Thanks

4. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    Give her a good 3 days in the fridge before cooking/freezing to let the rigor mortis pass. Learned the hard way with tough birds.[​IMG]

Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by