1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old pullet found lethargic & throwing up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sweetie2643, Mar 24, 2013.

1. sweetie2643

sweetie2643 New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    One of our pullets was found this evening lethargic & when picked up threw up clear liquid. We immediately quarantined it & noticed it as white runny stools.
    It had been on medicated chick feed until 8 weeks & then was switched over to Resaca Sun feed local to GA. The wether has been thunderstorms for days now & the babies have been in a sectioned off part of the adult run/coop for 1week now. No other chicks or adults are showing signs of stress. I cleaned out all food/water/bedding in big run as soon as we found this sick one.

Other than vitamin water & heat lamp in quarantine, what can I do?

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Wait and hope. That is about it. Just try to make sure it is eating and drinking and hopefully it will pull through...
    Also, if you pick up a chicken or duck that just drank a lot of water they will puke it back up...don't know if when picking them up we push on something that makes it come up, but the vomiting might be nothing...Just watch the weight of the bird and the stools. Give healthy snacks if she will take them...things like lettuce and such, just because eating anything is often a good sign that things aren't that bad. Sounds like you are on the right track already.

3. sweetie2643

sweetie2643 New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to offer greens in the a.m. She is resting more comfortably now than earlier.

4. arpyhh

arpyhh Out Of The Brooder

what happened??
    I have the exact situation here
    Did yours make it, if so what did you do??
    :-(

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How hot is it? Check her for impacted crop.

6. arpyhh

I didn't know about crops until I started researching this...
    I just checked it and it was full- like it fit in the palm of my hand, so I gently tipped her upside down (like I had read) to do
    and gently massaged her crop (I was worried about hurting her so I didn't squeeze too hard) but it all started coming out- found some grass in there and she hasn't been out in the grass for days (Since the bad weather started)
    When it seemed most of it had drained out, I cleaned it up and set her back down. She looks exactly like she did in the photo... puffed up with eyes closed..

It's been near 100 with the humidity, cooler in the barn, so I kept them in there

:-/

7. Margiechickmom

Margiechickmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Rural NE North Carolina
    I have a chicken that has had crop issues her entire life. She gets blocked up and impacted every so often. Yogurt is good and they make probiotics called Probios. They sell it at Tractor Supply for chickens but I get mine in the horse section. It's a powder that you mix with water. I give it to her using a vitamin syringe by mouth. One time I knew she was on death's door and I think this saved her life.

1 person likes this.
  8. arpyhh

I'll try the probiotics if this continues
    thank you so much for your advice!

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Probably not feeling well,because she has not been eating/drinking properly,possibly for days. Make sure she is drinking,chickens become dehydrated very fast,this could have dire consequences.

10. arpyhh

She just drank some water- pecked at her food for a few seconds, still puffed up and sleepy- occasional chirping

will keep watch.

thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by