KoraK

Hatching
Aug 23, 2020
Hi all,

I have a 22 chicken flock, 11 of them are around 7 months and currrently laying, another 11 are around 3 months.

We just recently integrated the young ones with the hens (I thought it was too early, but my husband has a coworker with chickens and he said it would be fine 🙄)

About two days ago we noticed bloody stools where the pullets roost at night. Aside from this they seem healthy, no other signs of possible cocci. My thinking is it could be due to having two different foods? We currently feed the pullets grower and our hens layer. Could it be from swapping protein levels ?

The hens pick on the pullets and they have trouble eating so they just kindof eat whatever they can get(the hens continuously bully the pullet away from whatever it is they’re eating, even if it’s their own food.)

I’d appreciate any advice of recommendations, this is our first flock so we are still newbie chicken owners. Thanks!

I would start the whole flock on Corid (amprollium) for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tap of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If you see more blood in stools, post a picture. I would put out feeders in multiple locations inside and outside the coop and run, so that the little ones can get food. There is a risk of energy and bullying if small pullets are with larger chickens, so if you could separate with some fencing, that might be better for awhile. But if that is not possible, just make sure everyone is getting a chance to eat and drink.

Back
Top Bottom