10 week old RIR, swollen eye and drooling thick cloudy HELP!

Chickpeep

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 29, 2011
West Kingston
This RIR chick is 10 weeks old and 2 days ago had a slightly swollen eye. This morning the side of her head is swollen and she is drooling. It is a thick milky substance. Her coop is brand new. The bedding is dry, pine shavings. The birds (total 15) have been in the coop for about a month. The bedding is about that old. The pictures should show the whole issue with her face. I am new to chickens this year, and could use the advice. Thanks.
98087_hpim5793.jpg

98087_hpim5799.jpg

98087_hpim5801.jpg

More information.
The Chicks poo is watery and dark brown. She is still eating and drinking, maybe a little lethargic, but still moving quite well. She still has the drool coming from he mouth. I had her separated from the other chicks but she got out of the box so I have to get her back in and separated. Unsure if this is Coccidiosis. The swollen eye is the only large item I have found in my research to believe that it is. I don't have an Avian vet around so I found some sulmet and administered that to the flock. There is no one that carries Corid around me so I will have to order that online for the next time. ANY help would be appreciated.

Okay, Turns out that the eye is swollen from being poked by a branch. At least that is what a friend who raises Chickens believes. She has done so for many years. We have very many huckleberry bushes in the woods (Rhode Island). And the milky drool is probably from an infected sinus draining. Her stools solidified after being quarantined for a few hours yesterday. Her diarrhea was most likely caused by an over excited owner when he noticed the huge swollen area,
D.gif
ep.gif
and grabbed her and stuffed her in a box. Once she calmed down she was eating and drinking normally. Once I calmed down and began to think rationally I got her better situated in her quarantined area with shavings, feed and water, she was better. She is now in an outdoor temporary chicken wire run next to the house. The eye is still very swollen. Does anyone have a basic anti-biotic they could recommend that I could get at TSC? Can't afford an avian vet. Even though she is "Just a Chicken" I still want her cured and put back with the rest of my girls. Any other ideas I could use to take care of the eye would be greatly appreciated.

I am so new to raising chickens that I don't know what I don't know. I didn't believe that I would get all tied up in knots when one got injured.
ep.gif
I always thought they were just to help my family provide for the food bill. That is until one got injured.
wink.png

Oh well, no one said it was easy.
idunno.gif
Even my boys are attached. Again, I realize there are many anti-biotics to treat certain illnesses, but a recommendation would be a blessing. I don't want her permanently blind in that eye, but a vet is not a possibility. I hope someone posts to this. Realize I am a newbie, but was awful discouraging to have no replies yesterday. Blessings from the new Chicken Person. G.

Hi! Are any of the other chickens having problems? Is she sneezing or wheezing (especially at night?).. I know that lots of the respiratory illnesses (CRD, IB, etc) have swollen sinuses as a symptom - if that's it, it's possible that your other birds will get it as well. Treatment would usually be Tylan, Sulmet or Denagard (first two you can get at feed store) .

The sinuses are around the eyes and with a sinus infection they will swell like that. IF it's one of those diseases, the flock may be contagious and you'll have to not let birds or hatching eggs leave your property even if they all appear cured.

If it IS an eye injury (just had one of those myself - poor roo got pecked and lost an eye), can you get eye ointment like terramycin from the feed store? Another option would be neosporin PLAIN (without any pain relief). Flushing with plain saline and/or warm compresses can also help!

ETA: Just read your posts over again.. It doesn't look like cocci to me. That doesn't generally come with swollen sinuses, but the bird will be lethargic and puffed up and may possibly (not always) have blood in the stool.

Last edited:
Quote:
None of the other girls are having problems. She has no respiratory symptoms that I can see or hear night or day. I had her in a box last night, and in an outdoor run 4x4ft this morning. She is doing well other than the eye, but still quarantined. I put the all the girls on Sulmet yesterday afternoon.

I will try the saline wash with an syringe (sans needle) so I can direct a stream up into the eye a bit. Then try a warm compress as you suggested. I think you are right about the cocci. I had no idea what the problem was yesterday so I got the first thing that I thought made sense. Newbie hysteria I guess. Not sure about the terramycin, I will check around. Do you know if TSC sells it? I have one of those close by. Is neosporin okay for the eye?????
idunno.gif
Will try it. How and where would you put it on?

Thank you for the reply, I greatly appreciate the help.
smile.png
G.

Terramycin is definitely one of the best ointments on the market for treating eye infections. I used it for years. I believe Tractor Supply does sell this. Put terramycin in her eye at least twice a day for about 3-5 days. I have used terramycin, with great results, on my horses, dogs, parrots and even my husband and I use it. Do NOT put neosporin in her eye.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom