10 week old roo injured- need advice!

car169mick

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
I just got five new chicks yesterday (given to me) was told they are Millefleur, which I now see is a color- based on size of Adult pair where they came from they are either Belgian D Uccle or Booted. I received two roos and three hens, and was told the one roo had been hobbling on one leg. When I got them home and inspected them, discovered the one roo had some pretty bad scabbed over sores under wing on the same side that the leg is not working right (right side) on left side under wing there are a couple of pecking(?) injuries and it looks bruised. He is eating and drinking, poo looks normal, but then he just sits and sleeps. I seperated him from the others, and am keeping them all on my back porch for now away from my other chickens. Giving him small amounts of "chicken vitamins" . I can not afford to take him to a vet, and wondering if someone can give me advice as to whether or not he could have a chance of recovering from these injuries? I just don't want him to suffer.

Can you take a picture?
From your description, I'd say that since he's eating and drinking normally, all the sleep may just be because the wounds are healing.
A picture would really help, though.

The Chickens' Maid- No, sorry, I cannot post a picture. But I just got home after being gone for about three hours and now he is gasping for air! You would think with all the chickens I have I would know what is going on, but I have been blessed with very hearty/healthy bantys and for three years, short of the occasional tiny "runt" chick that doesnt make it, I have had no illnesses or abnormalities. Give me a dog, cat, horse any day and I would know what to do, but with this.......? When I found him gasping I quickly got on here and looked for similar posts- he has no discharge, vent is normal, and I swabbed his throat, but found nothing. I used a Q-tip- how far in do I want to swab? Sorry again about no pic
sad.png

Sorry you are going through this. It does not sound good. Does not really sound like there is much you could do in the way of wound care that would help, at this point. If you wanted to, you could try an antibiotic; I think they usually use Penicillin on here for wounds, but have never given a chicken an antibiotic. Do you keep Baytril or Tylan around? You could find the dose on here somewhere.

I'm not quite sure what you are swabbing for, maybe gapeworm, but from what I understand they are pretty visible, not that hard to reach. I would guess he is gasping from an internal injury or pneumonia, possibly from the wounds.

Again, sorry. I know you are thinking about culling. You would not be alone in that thought.

Thanks ddawn, yes culling is exactly what I am thinking, for several reasons. I just got them, so not attached (although it breaks my heart regardless), they were free, the others appear normal, and even though I feel that whatever is going on is related to his injuries I REALLY do NOT want to risk something infecting my entire flock. I do have antibiotics for my horses ( although I dont use them ) I may resort to that, but think that I will put him in the spare bedroom and give him some more TLC and herbal tea and see how he is tomorrow.

UPDATE- late last night as I made my last check on the chick, I really thought I would end up culling today- sounded much worse and had made no attempt to eat or drink on his own. However this morning he seems a tad bit better, so I am going to continue doing what I am doing and give him another day- just hope he makes a turn one way or the other soon- having knee surgery on Tues. Ah well, love my chickies!

Back
Top Bottom