10 week old silkie gender query

mrslb333

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ok so I know that its probably too early to tell but I'm dying to know the sex. Any guesses?
60647_white_post_270810_102.jpg

60647_white_post_270810_103.jpg

60647_white_post_270810_101.jpg

Also be interested to know what you thought of her quality pet or show?
Thanks x

You need to be patient with Silkies. They have got to be the most difficult breed to sex, AND they take a while before you can tell show quality, etc. From what I can see in your pictures, by the looks of her feet it doesn't look like the feathering is full enough. From my understanding the middle toe should be covered in feathers. A great place to post your questions would be on the Silkie Breeder's thread.

Enjoy your Silkie! Show quality or not, they are a fantastic addition to any flock!
thumbsup.gif

Funny you should mention the middle toe feathering as we hatched another silkie and my kids commented that the new one had lots more feathers on its toe. Oh well, I'm not sure we'd show it any way but at least I can figure out which breeders are worth going back to if we need any more.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated
thumbsup.gif

10 weeks? I wouldn't put my chip either way - I have had ones I swore were cockerals turn out to be pullets, and then 15 week olds whom I swore were pullets start to try their hand and crowing and pop out a fat comb in a week. With a silkie I wouldn't say with any confidence on sex until 15-20 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom