10 week old SLW chicks male or female?

jbs

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Maryland
I have two 10 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks that I bought from a feed store, they came from a hatchery in Ohio (not Meyer, but possibly Mt Healthy). Chick One in the first photo is the one that I'm starting to think is a rooster, she's got some good sized wattles and is getting pretty red in the comb and wattles, especially compared to Chick Two. And Chick One's comb is starting to get big, which doesn't show up very well in the photo. But Chick Two has white on the wings which I'm reading on BYC is a rooster trait, so I'm slightly concerned about her as well.

Of the ten sexed pullets that I bought from the feed store, I've already got two male Brown Leghorns and my flock isn't big enough to support another rooster, so I'm going to have to re-home some of the roosters if one or both of these SLW turns out to be a male. I appreciate any help on these two.

Chick One:

Chick Two:

jbs

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Maryland
Thanks VE, I hope you are right. I've never owned SLWs but my Columbian Wyandottes didn't get red combs or wattles until they were at least 3-4 months old. Other SLW chicks on BYC with smaller wattles than my Chick One always seem to turn out to be roos. I hope that mine is just developing early but her face is starting to look awfully red.

greeneacre

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Garner, nc
Thinking that chick one is pullet due to the nice rounded feather down toward the tail and the back and short rounded feathers at the base of neck going down the back
Chick two leaning towards roo because of the pointer feathers at base of neck and going down the back and lots of white at the shoulder area.

jbs

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Maryland
Thinking that chick one is pullet due to the nice rounded feather down toward the tail and the back and short rounded feathers at the base of neck going down the back
Chick two leaning towards roo because of the pointer feathers at base of neck and going down the back and lots of white at the shoulder area.

Thanks for your reply. I'm concerned about all the white on the wings on Chick Two as well, didn't notice the pointed feathers on the neck, but see that you are right. I'm hoping that they both end up being pullets, but guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Top Bottom