10 week old turk poults breaking out with bumps?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rodster, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Hi. i have 2 10 week old poults i got about 2 weeks ago along with a 8 mo old turkey hen for them (might be one of their mom, but unsure, same farm tho) and about 5 days ago i noticed some wart looking bumps starting to grow on their heads and faces and i figred it was normal until yesterday when it appears they are taking over at an alarming rate. im not sure when the pics will get here so until then i'll try to describe them in better detail. they are like hard, rough little chiken pox warts, pink and reddsh, only more solid then puss or liquid inside. they scab over dark and it's rough and raw underneath, yet still solid like a wart over a pox but im starting to think it's viral. however, i am a mechanic so that and a cup of coffee would get you... [​IMG] i have been putting mupirocin 2% on their faces from lack of anything else to do and it appears to be helping. One peep has it on his eyelid so bad i thought s/he was growing another eye. after 24 hours it seems to be about 2/3s of what it was but more are sprouting. What should i do? i hope these pics help. Also, i think the carmel colered peep will be a male as the breast feathers seem more broad and i think his snood is starting to sprout out. If it matters, these 3 joined my current flock of 2 year old chicken hens and black silkie roo, all 4 of which appear to be VERY healthy. Should i seperate them to protect the chickens or is it too late already? Also, i should ask this in a different thread but these 2 seem inseperable and the female seems to squawk endlessly whenever it's away from the other for more then 5 seconds. the other seems to take seperation much better, is easier to handle, but as soon as they are back together it almost makes me cry to see how they love each other so much. makes me think that group dynamics is ever more complicated then i ever thought possible. Thanks SO much for your help in advance. this board is AWESOME!

still unsure of how to include pics in the threads so i will try to upload them to my upload place.
    any tips on getting them from there to here wud be great.
    going to bush gardens for the afternoon.
    check back when we get in.

GO CHEETA HUNT!!!

these pics are from 3 days ago.
    they are much worse now im afraid...

will post new pics tonite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know absolutely nothing about turkeys except they taste good at Thanksgiving, but when I saw your pictures I thought of Black head desease, and found this link, hope it helps you figure it out, but glad to hear what you are doing is helping too, please post back after reading this and let us know what you think. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5170630

3. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Hey Thanks Ms Lydia, that looks exactly like what i have going on here. i will talk to the feed store guy tomorrow and ask if he has anything to help as well as getting the others innoculated in case they haven't caught it already. Hopefully it's not too late or im going to have a lot of unhappy foul for a while. I'll definately keep up with the thread till they are over it. is there a general pain releiver you can give a fowl? i have stuff for the cat called metacam, but im not sure they really need it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have heard others talk about metacam for their chickens, but not sure about Turkeys. and also baby aspirin for chickens but again not sure about Turkeys, hopefully your person at the feed store will be knowlegeable. Good luck! and keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by