10-week old wyandotte gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BWchicken, Oct 19, 2009.

1. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I have a 10 week old white wyandotte bantam that I'm not sure about. He/she is so tiny because his/her growth was stunted when he/she was a baby and was really sick. He/she recovered nicely, but has always been smaller than the rest.

Anyway, his/her body shape and tail are starting to look rooster-ish to me. And I'm not sure about the rose comb, because I've been told wyandotte pullets pink up early just like roos. There are no wattles yet. What do you all think-boy or girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Looks like a hen to me. Anyone else?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think it's a roo. My large size wyandotte pullets have basically no red/pink in their combs till many weeks after the boys start showing red in their combs. The body shape looks like a roo too.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I think it is a hen. I think the tail is more like a hen also.

5. killions123

killions123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Ashland OH
    I think girl.

6. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I can see why you're confused. I think its a roo-hen! lol Seriously tho Im not familiar with bantams but the total lack of comb at 10 wks makes me think hen but are those saddle feathers starting? Maybe I'll go with Hen-roo!

7. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet, very small skinny comb for 10 weeks.

8. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Looks like our pullets did at that age.

9. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the responses! Most say hen and I hope they're right, I ordered all girls. But even with sexed bantams I'm never sure, and the early red rose comb confuses me too. Can anyone tell me more about sexing wyandottes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by