10 week Olds taken to sleeping in nest box

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by garyclay, Aug 5, 2007.

1. garyclay

garyclay New Egg

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi,

My 10 week old chickens have taken to sleeping in one of the nest boxes.

Is this OK or should I stop it??

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    definately need to stop it...block them or remove them. If you let them do this...after laying the eggs will be poopy and more of a chance that they will get broken!

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Yeah, what she said........[​IMG]

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Same, close off the nesting boxes so they get used to sleeping on their perches. I just did this with my 4 month olds last night because they kept sleeping in the nesting boxes. Just make sure there's enough perch space for everyone.

5. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    I'm having the same problem, only mine have recently started laying. All five hens will cram into our two nest boxes! Last night I blocked off the nest boxes and somehow our RIR got in and layed an egg before we opened up the nest boxes. Obviously she needed to get in.

I'm wondering if we should continue blocking it off until they figure it out or if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks

6. garyclay

garyclay New Egg

Jul 18, 2007
    OK all blocked off, will give them a few weeks or so to get used to the set up before removing the partition.

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i put basket balls in mine [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

To get my birds to sleep in different places I just go out there every night and put them in the right place. Strangely enough, my bird's never had a nest box sleeping problem... and when they do sleep in the lay box... they poo only in one area and the eggs sit up on a straw nest thing nice and clean. [​IMG]

9. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Quote:I'm sorry, but this one had me rolling. I don't know why ... I just picture some hen walking up to the nest box and seeing a basketball in there and saying something like "Excuse me, are you finished in there yet?"

I wanna see those basketballs ... with little beaks and wattles added!

(maybe I have a weird sense of humor or something, but this really just struck me as funny!) [​IMG]

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by