10 week Sapphire pullet respiratory and left paralysis

daxigait

Free Ranging
8 Years
Aug 10, 2015
SW Missouri
I have a 10 week old Sapphire pullet that has been sneezing for a week. Tonight she was laying down when I reached for her she tried to move away, but her left leg is not working. Second night with a sick bird different symptoms.

. If sounds like she might have MG or MS, but she could have many things. Denagard, if you can get it, is the best treatment for MG or MS Separate her from the flock and put her in a hospital cage or pen, where she can have warmth and privacy. I think it is always best if a sick bird in quarantine can still hear or see their friends, but it is cold where you are you might want to bring her into a heated place like the house. If you can 't get Denagard, at least try to get some Oxytet (most feed stores sell it) and start her on that. Does she have any other symptoms? Diarrhea, swollen eyes? Tylan is another good antibiotic for respiratory illnesses, as is Baytril...but it just depends on what you can get quickly. It is an emergency.

Last edited:
@chicknmaniaI have Tylan I got it for my sick roo I found him congested and eyes swollen shut last night so I got the med today. How much does she need?
What are mg and ms?

Last edited:
Is paralysis a symptom of respiratory infections like mg ms? I still haven't found what those are, but I am going to search now.

Would help if you could post a picture of her. Let me know what she weighs and I'll tell you how much Tylan I would give if she were mine.

-Kathy

Is paralysis a symptom of respiratory infections like mg ms? I still haven't found what those are, but I am going to search now.

It can be if it is MS. It sounds bad. It would be good if you can get some Oxine. You don't need to use a fogger, you can mix it with water, and use it as a disinfectant to spray everything in their living quarters and also to disinfecgt feeders and waters. You can even put some oxine /water solution in a spray bottle and mist the birds themselves with it, and you can put a few drops in their drinking water too. Whatever you use, you should disinfect every day until you get the problem under control. If you can't get Oxine, at least use bleach. If you get the Oxine, don't get the kind with crystals, that you mix.

MS is Mycoplasma Synoviae . MG is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. They are both very common in poultry, and usually not fatal, although they can be. We had a rooster recently who had symptoms similar to what you describe. He started out sneezing, then limping, and eventually could not walk at all. He ended up with airsaculitis (which is like pneumonia in birds) and he died despite our efforts to save him. He had what seemed to me to be classic symptoms of MS, . None of our other birds though ever showed any symptoms of MS.but it is contagious and they don't necessarily always show symptoms. Denagard is an awesome preventative, if used on a monthly or even bi monthly basis. That is to say, it will prevent symptoms from developing and escalating into a potential problem.

Separate your sick birds from the rest of the flock and disinfect the heck out of everything in sight!

Last edited:

Lameness or swelling of the joints in the feet/legs could be MS. Respiratory symptoms are also seen in MS

-Kathy

Last edited:
If all joints have normal range of motion, and there's no heat or swelling, then it's unlikely that it's related to mycoplasma.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom