1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 Week Silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by calientepocket, Dec 15, 2014.

1. calientepocket

calientepocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    PNW- Gemini Starship
    I have four silkies I got back in October. I was thinking one of them might be a boy, but now I'm not so sure and think I may have four pullets. Hard to get pictures, as they are all a bit skittish still, but here they are:

Veda

[​IMG]

Scarlet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edna

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jackie Blue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    So far they look like pullets. Of course close ups of their faces would help but since they are skittish that is kinda impossible.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that it is too young to be certain. I can't see any obvious cockerel characteristics, but there are no definite pullet characteristics, either.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I don't see anything screaming rooster, but young Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex. I would repost their pics again in about a month. I hope for your sake I am right and they are all pullets. :eek:)

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking pullets for now, but Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex until they're older.

6. calientepocket

Oct 30, 2014
    PNW- Gemini Starship
    I knew silkies were difficult to sex, I just wasn't sure how long to wait. Does anyone know at what age they tend to be "full grown"? My 3 cats like to sit right outside of their enclosed area and I'm sure that is what is making them more skittish. It's strange, because the cats are just fine all the other chickens, they always hang out in the run with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. calientepocket

Oct 30, 2014
    PNW- Gemini Starship
    Well, about 14 weeks and we definitely have a roo. I believe it may be "Scarlet"- here are some photos.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. calientepocket

Oct 30, 2014
    PNW- Gemini Starship
    I tried to get pictures of the other three, but it was dark, and my cat was scaring them so they would hardly stop squirming.

"Jackie Blue"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Edna"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Veda"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Scarlet and Edna look like cockerels to me. Scarlet is a very red partridge, females of that color are usually a more demur brown. And Edna is also leaking red. Thats a pretty good indicator that they could very well be boys....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  10. calientepocket

Oct 30, 2014
    PNW- Gemini Starship
    Thanks for the feedback. I am fairly certain you are correct, as the other two (Jackie & Veda) looked like they were trying to make nests in one corner of the coop while the suspected males were just strutting around. We'll see, but I'm suspecting they may both have to go soon :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by