10 weeks old with layers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Matt M, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Matt M

Matt M Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    I have 10 weeks old with layers do i feed them all layer pellets or chick grower/finisher. Also i will have the same produm when my hen haches out here eggs iam going to keep them all in the same coop do i feed the chicks and chickens the same food. Plz help

2. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I do not recommend feeding them all the same food. The protein in the grower is too high for layers, and will cause laying problems, and the protein in the layer is too low for chicks. This can cause lasting, damaging effects.

3. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    So what do I do.

4. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Separate your birds.
    I generally use chick starter til 10 weeks, switch to grower and feed that until about 20 weeks OR the first egg. Then I have them on layer pellets. Best wishes.

5. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I don't mean to come off as rude, but it probably would've been helpful to plan beforehand. If you know you are going to have birds at different ages, you need to plan their accommodations. You will need to keep them separate for about 2 more months. I suggest you keep them in an area where they can see them but not get to them. They are old enough to go outside at this age.

6. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    K thanks I didn't know I was getting different ages till my neighbor gave them to me.

7. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Thats fine. How many are there? If they're only a couple, they can go in a dog crate set in the run attached to a doghouse type thing.

8. Matt M

Apr 16, 2016
    K what do I do with the mama and the chicks then. I got told I can just leav them in the coop and she will take care of them but don't they need chick starter. Thanks alto

9. waddles99

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I would take them away from her if you care about them living.

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    You can keep your chickens together. Starter or grower (18-22%) is fine for layers! In fact many people feed this feed for the chickens whole lives. Don't feed layer to the chicks, the calcium is too high. Starter/grower is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by