10 weeks red comb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katelyn, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Katelyn

Katelyn Cooped Up

Jun 2, 2007
    I have a hen that is about 10 1/2 weeks old. I noticed she has a red comb now for about a week. Its didnt dawn on me until now but dont they get red combs right before they lay? I thought she was to early. Perhaps since I dont really mind when shes starts laying than she will have them early. Maybe thats the trick, dont care and they will lay sooner, lol.

Anyways its deff. a hen. Anyone know whats going on?

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    My oegb roos often start getting red combs about that time but the hens always much later. Are you sure she's not a he? Otherwise I have no idea. We did have an EE roo mature several weeks behind the others, maybe she's just an early bloomer? [​IMG]

3. Katelyn

Katelyn Cooped Up

Jun 2, 2007
    I am about 99% pos. its a hen. She was the only hen out of 5. Anyways, after closer inspection, the waddles and around the eyes are red, not really the comb, its more pinkish.

Should I put wooden eggs in?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At that age, you have quite a way to go before you see any eggs, at least 8-10 weeks, I'd say. Of course, you can put wooden eggs anytime you want, but not necessary right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by