10 wk old chick falling down

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by twalker250, Aug 24, 2008.

1. twalker250

twalker250 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    NE Ga Mountains
    Please help. My ten week old Buttercup has just begun acting very sick. She can not stand up and is curling up both of her feet. She will not eat or drink. When she tries to stand she topples forward, and she holds her tail down. There are not obvious signs of injury or illness. What could it be, and what should I do?
    thanks
    twalker250

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry- I can't help, but I wanted to bump you up onto the front page again so that you got in front of folks who can.

I pray it all works out, and that it all gets better.

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    how many chicks do you have in with her?
    what all are you feeding?
    describe the bedding and housing..
    describe the droppings..color and consistency.

check the crop for any lumps.

do you have chick vitamins?

get some Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand, if possible, no iron..give 2-3 drops on beak once a day for a week or so, tapering off for a week.
    she needs the vitamins, especially riboflavin (a B vitamin)..and other nutrients.

this chick is near death..so you must reply to the questions, and act quickly.

4. twalker250

Jun 22, 2008
    NE Ga Mountains
    Thanks rscrvc for showing concern. I was very disappointed that I did not get any more help.

5. twalker250

Jun 22, 2008
    NE Ga Mountains
    Thanks for the response Sammi. My Buttercup is fine. We found a chicken vet and took her on Monday. She had a 106 degree fever (104 is normal by the way). The dr. said she has some sort of infection. Her poop was free of disease and worms. They are in a very clean environment and eating what they should be, so he was unsure of where it came from. She is on meds, and will be fine.

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I think people do not reply, not because they do not care, but because the people reading at the time did not have a ready answer. It is nice to say, hope your bird does ok, but not directly helpful to you or your bird. From your description- your bird sounded weak- not much to go on to give you any suggestions beyond the usual- keep her warm, offer her yummy food, vitamins and electrolytes. Glad you found help from a vet, and I hope she does well. Many ill young birds that are not exposed to infectious illness get sick around that age if their diet is deficient in vitamins or minerals, they have used up all of the stuff mom gave them in the yolk and are depending on their food entirely. Usually it is the food is too old and the vits have degraded. Fever does not fit with diet deficiency though. Hope the antibiotics? you have do the trick. Fever of 106 is of concern if this is real, but if the day is hot, and the car ride hot and stressful- this is not out of the realm of possibility of normal. If your chicken does not get better, look into the food, and take the temp at home and see if she has a repeatable fever.
    jess

Quote:

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    please check the time of posts..
    rscrvc posted at 11:02
    I posted at at 11:10

anyway..what med did he give the chick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by