1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 wk old chick out all night, now sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SusanVT, Aug 14, 2013.

1. SusanVT

SusanVT New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Last night two of the chicks (layer-breed mutt, raised by hen) didn't go inside to roost, and I couldn't find them with a flashlight. They've been wanting to roost outdoors. One is fine, the other was chilled and crouched on the ground when I got up.

She's now in a plastic tub with a hot water bottle (wrapped in a towel), with food and water. She's better -- warm and standing up some of the time, more annoyed when I pick her up -- but still droopy looking, and won't eat. Her droppings are runny and thin. The first two droppings (of three today) had a little bit of red-orange matter, didn't really look bloody but I don't know what else it could be. She was fine yesterday! She doesn't have any wounds I can see.

I don't have a chicken vet or money to pay one, so she'll get home treatment only -- and I don't have time to fuss with invalid chickens for long. But I do want to help her -- any advice? Thank you!

2. SusanVT

SusanVT New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    By evening she was eating again, and this morning her droppings are completely normal. Guess that was what chilling and shock looks like in a chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by