10 wk pullet limping badly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crazyforfeatheredfriends, Jan 27, 2010.

1. crazyforfeatheredfriends

crazyforfeatheredfriends Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Arizona
    Hi, we have a 10 wk old BR pullet that we just noticed limping in the yard this morning. We have brought her into the house away from everyone else as a precaution. She has no visible signs of injury. I have felt her leg and can't tell if she has a broken leg or not. What else could be the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I've dealt with a limping pullet before. We brought her in, to the screened porch actually, and isolated her in a small crate to discourage her from moving around too much. I took her out to the front yard a few times a day for a few minutes at a time.
    A few days of rest and she was fine.
    Hope yours heals just as quickly.

3. FlaChickenMan

FlaChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    Go to search and type in "flachickenman" and i just went through this. I isolated her (for 4 days) but she wanted to be with the others as she was the leader, so I put her cage in the coop with the rest of them. Gave her extra vits/tums(vitD)/treats. Within 10 days she was back like new. I guess she jumped down (2-3 ft) of the roost and sprained her leg or foot. No bubble on yours' foot bottom? (Bumblefoot).

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she growing at a rapid rate? Guessing yes...

Pullets are notorious for limping. It might be a trauma for which you can offer her 1 low-dose aspirin crushed and dissolved in water- either put in a small waterer or offer gently by dropper.

The cause, though, is often excessive body demand for vitamins B, D and E. So another option is to give her and the others baby vitamins in their water (no added iron) or poultry vitamins. Limping may take a week to sort out or a little longer, but if you get more than one pullet showing it, suspect a high vitamin demand from excessive growth.

Check her for an example-
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

Scroll to Incident 04.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. crazyforfeatheredfriends

crazyforfeatheredfriends Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Arizona
    Thank you so much! We will get some vits for her and keep her inside with us. She's been growing fine up to this point. I do hope she heals quickly so she can be back with her friends [​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Let us know how it goes- she sounds typical but it gives one quite a scare!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by