10 wk pullet was scalped - HELP

themagicash

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Austin
I have a sweet sweet pullet that was somehow scalped today. I can see her brain through a thin layer of tissue. The bleeding has stopped and I have put triple antibiotic and guaze on the wound. I dont think stitches could help her because there is no extra skin to pull up for sewing.

Any advice?

Last edited:
I have no experience with this type of injury, but I have read posts on this site by people who have. Do a search using the word "scalped" and you will find a lot of good information. People have successfully treated serious injuries, even when areas of skin are missing. If you haven't done so yet, separate her from the rest of the flock so that others don't pick on and further injure her. Here is a link to some great information on wound care (see post #7 in the thread). Hope someone with more experience then I comes along soon with further advice. Best of luck to you with this!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2544011

I have one that had gotten her skin ripped from one side of her neck to the other and itwas her entire back of her neck but not where I could see brain. I do't know if the skull will grow back. The first thing you want to do is isolate her away form the other chickens to a clean place where she can recover and I would have done what you did with the antibiotic cream. I don't think you should put gauze over it because it will stick and if her brain is showing it will only cause damage to it. I used gause on mine and took days picking the fibers out of her flesh.

Hopefully somebody will come along that knows exactly what to do. Good luck

I have her isolated in our garage with a heat lamp since it is cold. I took the gauze off. The poor thing, this is breaking my heart. I am going to give her some boiled egg.

I had my bantam have the same thing happen but not to that extent. She lost all her feathers and skin and it was really messy, but I used blue kote on her, don't know if I should have but she healed up fine, it happened twice so the roo went into the freezer. Hope you girl makes it. They are pretty tough creatures. If her brain is showing I believe I'd keep it covered for a few days just to keep dirt and such out of it.

Last edited:
Quote:
The problem with covering it with gauze is it will stick to the wound and since it's her brain showing removing the gauze can remove some pieces of the brain too. Maybe some kind of non stick gauze pad made like a cap or hood would protect her brain.

Hope I don't sound irreverent--I don't mean to. On the PBS program The History of chickens there was a chicken whose head had been cut off and survived!! No joke. In my opinion it was cruel to let it live but it lived for years.
I am so sorry for your hen. I would be totally freaked out.
Nature is powerful and she may survive.

So far she is doing okay, she is eating and drinking and still singing her sweet song. She did seem a little panicked earlier was trying to get out of her cage. Hopefully she will rest now.

Well, I'd go ahead and treat her. I'd think if it was a mortal injury she'd probably be gone already.

Back
Top Bottom