10 Year Anniversary Cruise Vacation - Spend on Travel or Stuff ???

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Nifty-Chicken, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Go somewhere new (travel) but have less $ to "spend"?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stay local and have more $$ to "spend"?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

UPDATE - We chose to go out of Miami and cruise the Western Caribbean. If you're in the area and want to get together, let us know! Or, if you know of where we should go and what we should do, please post suggestions!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4523090#p4523090

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon. It was super cheap and we could drive to the port so travel was basically free. We had a fantastic time and thought we'd always go on cruises. Well, 10 years later we haven't gone on another one since.

So, for our 10 year anniversary (in August) I'm planning another cruise during the off season (November or December) to get more bang for our buck. We're going to do it without kids so I thought we should take advantage and cruise somewhere new. The Caribbean cruises have some great deals, but when I factor in travel I almost faint. Even with the cheapest flights from California being around $300 per person round trip it almost doubles the cost of the trip. People say, "Just factor the price of the travel into the vacation" but unfortunately my brain doesn't work that way. The frugal part of my brain (which is huge) says, "Wow, you could go on another local cruise for the price of the flights!"

The other problem is that we'd probably have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale / Miami a day early and then get a hotel room... another expense I hate paying for.

We've been spoiled with LA cruises because they are drivable and I have family or friends that we could stay with.

So, my options:

1) Bite the bullet and do the Caribbean cruise knowing that I'll probably never be in the mindset to do it in the future with kids.
    2) Forget the Caribbean and just do a nicer cruise out of LA and get more bang for the buck.

Another way to think about it: Say there is $x,xxx in the 10 year anniversary budget. Would you:

1) Travel somewhere new that you'll probably not have the opportunity to go to for 20 years but have less to spend on "fun stuff"
    2) Stay local, maybe somewhere you've already been, but have more money to spend on "fun stuff"

What would you do?

OH... I'll make this a poll. YAY!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Do the Caribbean cruise...or bahamas! It's totally worth it! And if you go out of Tampa or Orlando (Port Canaveral) I'll put you up at my house for the night (I live in between them). We're talking about going on a cruise in Nov/Dec for our Anniversary as well. We could always make it a BYC cruise. [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Go to Hawaii!!! They have all kinds of cruise options ..and they really arent too bad!
    I bet you can get a ship out of CA.... so travel expenses wont be so expensive....

The only cruise line that takes you to 4 islands in 7 days...
    I recommend this cruise line... they were great.

http://www2.ncl.com/destination/hawaii/overview

With the cruise..you have to figure...all your meals are included plus alot of free shows and things..... and even some off shore things are usually included in the price.
    You wouldnt really have to send much money at all, after the initial cruise price...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  4. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    You could compromise and sail out of New Orleans. We take the Norwegian Cruise to the Western Caribbean. I like the fact that some of our travel money goes to a city that can really use it! It is always best to be at the port city the day before, if flights are delayed and you don't make the ship=====tough beans. They won't wait for you. Actually I prefer the Western trip to the Eastern. My hubby and I are leaving for this trip the first week of December, it will make our second time for this one.
    Cruising gives you more bang for your buck. It's nice to wake up at a new place to explore, and you only have to pack and unpack the one time. Woo Hoo [​IMG]
    Slinky

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    There's a 4-night Bahamas cruise out of Port Canaveral on Nov. 14th for $189/person. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Trips are wonderful.

Places I've gone with my sweety.

Palmyra, NY- Kirtland,OH w/ Niagara Falls in-between.

Independence, MO - Nauvoo, IL

Nauvoo, IL (THREE other times!) she is a pageant groupie

Guaymas, MX

Cancun, MX (twice)

All over Ecuador.

Marco Island - Orlando, FL and points in between and around

San Diego (a good number of times... so much cooler there)

San Francisco

The Grand Canyon

Tucson

trips are great...

Now we are putting more into our food storage... [​IMG]

7. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

i'd vote for the Caribbean, totally. i've spent a LOT of time in the Bahamas (never done a cruise, though) and can tell you that you really shouldn't need to budget all that much for spending money. that is, of course, assuming that you won't want to go do anything crazy like a whole day of private chartered deep sea fishing. as far as i know, all your food is included in the cruise package, so that's one big expense you won't have to worry about.

having said that, you really might look into skipping the cruise and just doing a regular Bahamian vacation. so long as you steer clear of the crazy popular places like Nassau and Paradise Island, there are lots of places you can go for pretty cheap and they will be so much nicer because they won't be flooded with tourists and all the crap people sell to tourists.

places that i love:

Treasure Cay, Abaco (we have a house there and i truly, truly love the little village)
    Green Turtle Cay and New Plymouth
    Hope Town, Elbow Cay
    Great Guana Cay (especially Nipper's Bar, which can get rowdy, but is really nice when it's not. good Cuban cigars can be bought for ~$5 in town... if that sort of thing interests you)

8. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I voted for a new place, we like to travel to new places, our last 2 anniversaries we went to Mexico and the Philippines, Is great to know more places, but I personally would not do A cruise, I'm afraid of water, so I say get to know a new place

9. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    I've traveled a lot worldwide and in a heartbeat, I'd spend x amount of $ going somewhere I've never been before than on "fun stuff" locally. It's amazing what new places and scenery can do to your perspective and I've become a better person for it. That you can't put a price on.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Lots of great comments and ideas, thanks!

A cruise is really the best fit for me since it is mostly "all inclusive"... otherwise my "frugality" kicks in and I'm always stressing about where we go, where we stay, how we travel, what we see, and especially what we eat. We were very happy on the last cruise with all that was on the ship (food and shows) and just walking around the local area on the shore excursions.

My wife sounds like she's leaning more toward travel and having less "spending money" so I think we may end up going that route (happy wife = happy life). [​IMG]

This is the cruise calling our names.

I'm thinking we might just do a red eye the day before, sleep on the jet, and arrive in the AM and go to the port... thus, no need for a hotel stay... unless anybody knows someone we should visit in the Miami / Ft. Lauderdale area. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by