10 year old home canned food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 19Dawn76, Nov 24, 2009.

1. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I have a TON of it. My grandma canned everything and stores 100+ glass jars full of food in the storage building. I want the jars now but have no idea what to do with all that food. Do you think it wil hurt my chickens? The jams and stuff I know would be too much sugar but there are green beans and corn and soup starters and chow chow. Just TONS of stuff.

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    It depends what is in the food. I would just throw it all out and clean out the jars for yourself. That is my opinion.

3. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    We moved into a house that had tons of home canning in the basement. We dumped it into the compost. It was all fruit and vegetables. Covered it with dirt because the syrup drew bugs. As far as feeding to the chickens, if it is sealed, not off color or smell, I don't think it should hurt them. I didn't have chickens at the time so didn't have that option.

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I wouldn't chance it. They say 2 to 5 years is the max for low acid vegetables. One bad jar can wipe out your entire flock. Pour them in the compost pile.

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Compost, you don't want to tempt fate....

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Compost is a better idea, first it improves the soil, and you'll get tons of earthworms!

7. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    I quess i didn't think of the compost pile. I fed alot to my chickens.They ate what they wanted and left the rest and they are still clucking around.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    10+ Years Botulism in a Jar......
    after a few 3-5 years I would just say put in compost pile or dig a hole & dump them in & cover it up.

Wash the jars, then boil them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by