100-210V AC too much? Which fan is better for putting in an LG???

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
1. 12 VDC brushless fan also hum-sensitive

2. 4" 120 VAC fan

3. Antec 92mm 3 speed PC fan

THought I could pull a PC fan from one of the monitors--only monitors don't have fans, the tower does! I'm learning so much thanks to all of you. Which fan do I buy from Radio Shack???
smile.png

Last edited:
4 inch is probably a little large. I'd try to find a 3 inch 120VAC That way you won't have to mess around with a secondary power source. You can just wire it into the existing power cord. The kit you can get for the styrofaom Hovabator uses a 3 inch fan, mounts it in the center of the top. spaces it down about 1/4 inch, and has it blowing up toward the top. Not down at the eggs. The fan runs all the time. it is not interupted by the thermostat.
hth. db

Last edited:
I used a fan from Radio Shack that had a blue light. I rewired it to a 5V cell phone charger. The faint blue light comes in very handy when spying on the eggs/hatchlings. I'm still having a hell of a time getting the temperature stable. This is my first time with the LG (never had problems with the Hovabator). I do not recommend nor will I ever buy another LG.

DP Cooper-- the smaller fan is the 92 mm Antec; perhaps that is the right size; I'm curious how the 3 speeds are managed if no computer to talk to it.

nurse turtle--the blue lighted fan sounds really cool; as I'm headed to Radio Shack to morrow, I will talk a look at it. THe LG is a bit tricky; I had read all the back posts about it and knew it had specific requirements, and it was the only one the local feed store had when I was in a pinch and needed one quickly. There is a thread that may give you hope:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=190381 also chookschick has a page devoted to set up and uses many of them. GL

jfulcher--free is exactly what I was planning; hence the collection of so many monitors. Should have been collecting the towers.
hit.gif

Last edited:
DH pulled a fan from a PC headed to the trash. THree wires: blk, red, white. +red, - black ( note on label) .

Q. The power source that I have is it too much power? 100-120 v 50/60Hz 0.2 A AC
also shows DC 5.0 V 800mA

Thanks everyone for your help. I kept reading old posts and found that the 120-240 v AC was input info; output info is more relavent and 5 volts will do; 1-18 is allowed. Found an adapter and tested the connections with the fan. It's quiet and I wired it to the LG using long twistems. Installation, after testing and mock set up, took 10 minutes.

Quote:
If you have a cube from an old cordless or cell phone, they will work. They are around 300mA. There should be a red and black wire on the fan. There are two wires, one would be a black with red wire and a black wire or a black with white wire and a black wire on the cubes. The white wire on the fan is probably a ground wire.

Back
Top Bottom