100% best way to make pumpkin seeds!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Whitehouse Quail, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    We carved pumpkins this week, and wanted to cook the seeds to eat. Normally we soak them in saltwater overnight then bake in the morning for hours with salt, but this year, on a whim from our grandmother, we did this:

Melted a stick of butter on our baking tray
    Spread the unwashed, unsoaked seeds with little flecks of orange on the tray
    Coat with salt

And bake at 200 for a while, turning every once half hour about, and wait till they are done!

OMG these were the BEST pumpkin seeds we ever made! [​IMG] If you don't believe it, try it and see!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thats how we do it... [​IMG]
    Now i have a craving..lol

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    we add a little garlic salt & worschestershire and the butter of course

4. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    How do you know when the seeds are "done?" Do you bake them until they're golden brown?

5. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Please post how to tell when done!!!! I have a bunch I need to bake! Thanks!

6. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    We bake them till they are dry, we sometimes have to pour off the butter and put back in at 250 for a little while...

We just taste them to tell if they are done! [​IMG] (Noramlly 4 hours, more or less.)

7. litterbitt

litterbitt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    West Central GA
    I'll have to try this! I've always done them the way my mom did: boil in salt water (with a little garlic sometimes), drain, and spread on cookie sheet to bake till golden. They are delicious this way...

8. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Yep, butter, salt and we add garlic powder and creole seasoning. They come out perfect.

We'll also do a sweet spice mix. Butter, cinnamon, sugar & pumpkin pie spice... Those are great!

9. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    !!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    You can leave some of the GOO on them?
    Cool!

I grew pumpkins this year & have been giving the innards slime w/seeds to the chickens.
    But if I can avoid having to de-gooify the seeds I may save some for MEEEEEE!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by