100% Frustration with this flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by IndigoJaguar, Jul 13, 2011.

1. IndigoJaguar

IndigoJaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    One week ago I had ten hens, one rooster, and 11 seventeen week old chicks. Then I got rid of four hens, three of them being Salmon Faverolles, because they ate WAY too much.
    Two of the current hens had dog attack and have been living with the babies for the last several months. So I finally go all of them started free ranging together.....alll the babies and all the hens, and the rooster. Everything goes pretty well EXCEPT...my two hens who were attacked by a dog are afraid to DEATH of my rooster. They run like hell whenever he is near them. He is a good boy and none of the other chickens act like that. But....he does pick on one of the attacked ones. Every time he gets near her, he jumps on her. I don't mean mates her, I mean stomps on her and pulls on her saddle and just generally torments her. Tonight I came home and her saddle is missing....he must have ripped it off.
    HOW can I peacefully combine two flocks when two of my hens are deathly afraid of my roo, and the big hens beat up on the little ones? I am a max stress cap. Sooooo frustrated. Chickens were supposed to be fun...and they were last year, but this year they are hell. No one gets along and they are eating me out of house and home. [​IMG]

2. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    I have 3 groups of chickens that free range. At 1st they would peck and chase each other off. They have pens that are side by side. Now they seem to free range in their own grps/areas. And when I call them for treats "bloop bloop bloop.." they all run in together as 1 gtp and seem to be getting along. Perhaps time will heal your chicks wounds.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    my two groups separate as well my older flock will hold back the younger ones at goodie time so i just make sure to stand in between the two so that everyone gets goodies..Im about to add to my flocks this will be a third age group.. Im hoping the younger group will let him in and not sprout a third group all together, we'll see..

were you able to pu tone of those aprons on your hen? sounds like the girls might need it ... I dont have any yet but plan on getting some to keep on hand just ion case..

)O(
    Pink

4. IndigoJaguar

IndigoJaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    It has been several weeks since they all started being together, but nothing is any better than before.
    were you able to pu tone of those aprons on your hen? sounds like the girls might need it ... I dont have any yet but plan on getting some to keep on hand just ion case..

Yes. They worked well, until the rooster ripped one off yesterday.​

5. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Poor hen! I found these saddles online... maybe they'd be more secure?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by