100% Goose rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Apr 14, 2008.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I'm so new to this, so what am I doing right? I have 100% hatch rate for geese (I have had two infertile eggs)-- two separate hatchings and 9 geese!

My chicken hatch rate is more like %50 and it looks like my duck hatch rate is going to be 0...

I haven't been doing anything special-- I turned them by hand. I've assisted three with hatching. I didn't spritz them-- I just kept the incubator channels full of water...

I now have four embden, one toulouse, and three white chinese...

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your hatch rate is better than mine. 1st goose hatch was 3 out of 4. 2nd was 2 out of 3. I have duck eggs coming this week. I was told it is easier to hatch ducks than the geese. I guess I'll find out! Congrats on your 100% hatch rate!

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm under 50% this year counting only fertile eggs. About 19/20 were fertile. But of those, I'm getting under half hatching. Geese are just more difficult to master than chickens. That's why day old goslings cost $10 and not $2 like a chicken.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My hatch rate is 67% and 75% for an average of 71%. Not the best but very good for goose eggs.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    What always frustrates me is that of the ones who don't pip, there are fully formed goslings/ducklings inside. The only problem that makes sense would be too low average humidity. But, I have a digital hygrometer now and have it dialed in near perfect.

6. Leslie In North Pole

Leslie In North Pole Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2007
    North Pole, AK
    Quote:We may just have to call you the goose whisper, lol.

I also had a 100% on my geese this year, last year completely different story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by