100 lbs of duck food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by saxet, Aug 11, 2010.

1. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    I feel bereft. I am now officially out of ducks. I lost one here and there over the past 4 years, but no slaughter. My ducks were free on a large 1 acre pond and were smart enough to stay out there at night and stay safe. But we have a horrid heatwave and had way too little rain to sustain a pond that never dried up. It got lower and the ducks started to get scared. I lost one. Weeks go by, lost another one. They roosted on my back porch during the day, and insisted on going back to their by now puddle at night (and refused the shelter that I offered) So this past weekend [​IMG] coyotes claimed the last two lives. They were not on my porch that morning and I went looking right away. Found a pile of brown feathers and I just knew they had claimed my campbell drake. [​IMG] I found no evidence of what had happened to my pekin hen. I was hosing off my porch when I thought I heard a quack. Just a 'where are you' call, but I never did hear it again, and found no ducks at the pond. I kept on going back all day long, to see if the caller had appeared yet, starting to wonder if I had imagined it. By evening, I had given up hope but made one more treck. There, in the middle of the low pond is the drake. [​IMG] It took a net and some wading but he was fairly easily caught. He looked rough, feathers missing around the neck, some on the wings, and a puncture wound on the chest with some raw skin. Nothing that should have killed him. I cleaned and set him up, and was hopeful that he would make it, but he seemed to just have given up (why do they do that?) and died a couple of hours later. Man...I miss my ducks. I have had them for 4 years straight, they were part of the landscape. And now, I am left with 100 lbs of feed (hen scratch and hog pellets,mixed) that could use a new home. If you live in North East Texas, Longview/Tyler area, let me know. The feed is free. If the recipient happens to raise ducks, I might beg one future bird off of him/her, after my mourning period, and after I set up a heck of a new duck fort for low water periods and nightly refuge. And even if you don't raise anything, but could use the contents of my freshly filled barrel, drop me a PM. My neighbors have chickens, but no ducks.

2. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. What a bummer [​IMG] It really bites when you lose duck(s)...I mourned for quite awhile when my last 2 call drakes were killed by coons. But now, all better and safer pen and back in business.....good luck with your future pals!

Too far away for food, just wanted to reach out.

3. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    Thanks Chikky. For now, I find myself checking under the picknick table on the back porch umpty times a day. They spent weeks there, happily harassing me for food and playing sandwich with the kittens. Roosting under the rocking chair too, and making sure that I could not use the porch without a firm scrubbing first. [​IMG] I think they even watched the 5 'o clock news through the sliding doors, before they would waddle back to their pond. Ducks are such characters! (as most of you will know) and I miss the smiles they caused, more than the occasional eggs they would let me find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by