100 lbs of layer feed for $13.00

Bantymama

Songster
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
MN
I don't know why i didn't think to check with the feed mill sooner. I was paying $12.00 for 50 lbs of feed at the feed store. Today i went to the mill and paid $13.00 for 100 lbs. After i left i thought to my self duuuh. My son is working at the elevator and is going to bring home a few hundred pounds of screenings ( corn that is not whole) for my ducks they only like to eat corn so it should work good for them.

Is it mash or crumbles? I used to get all my feed at our local feedmill, but all they make is a mash and even tho it was cheaper the chickens didn't like it very well and wasted a lot of it.

they will love the screenings, my son cleaned out the grain dryer last year and my chickens loved the cracked corn. So did a couple of BYC'ers chickens and animals
wink.png
Come to think of it, I have to get him back in there before harvest time to clean out again.

A living body is not meant to survive on one food ingredient alone, health issues arise, health declines (corn). Everything in moderation and a well balanced diet is the way to go and believe me, if a living being gets hungry or is lacking a well balanced diet, such as ducks on corn alone, they WILL eat a well balanced diet once you offer it to them and don't fill them up on the corn first. Not trying to sound mean here, but none of us can survive, nor be healthy for very long by eating just one food item.

I'd love to live near your feed prices, one bag is +$30 landed via airplane where I live!

I agree I( bought 2 tons of corn gluten or "wet mill from the local corn plant the chickens cows and horses loved it but the chickens weren't growing right so i bought crumles and mixed it. Now I feed them scratch grains and they dont eat as much but seem healthy.

Good point on bal. feed, have so many people tell me their hens stop laying ,or not much. check with them find out they are feeding all corn, or scratch feed, why cause its cheaper.

Cheap feed is not alway better, if that was the case all laying houses would only feed corn.

Back
Top Bottom