100 percent repurposed materials

soundmanbnc

Hatching
Mar 24, 2015

That is quite a tasteful use of your repurposed materials… I think that is equal to or better than many setups I have seen. Is there a story that goes with this? Might be of interest to hear the story that might go along with such a nice build.

RJ

Not much to tell. I waited for a long time before I did this build. This is my first flock and I didn't want it to be a burden on my family or myself. I also knew that they had to pay for themselves so I gathered info from this site and realized that I had much of the materials laying around.

The cover to the run is made from zip tied storage cubes. The side of the run is my backyard fence on 2 sides and an old portable animal play pen. The coop is a kiddie play house with a palet for the floor and chopped up leaves and twigs (about 6-12 inches deep)covering it. The perches on the inside are made from tree branches. The nesting boxes are a subdivided Rubbermaid tote which is secured by screws to one of the windows.
The whole thing cost me about 5 dollars out of pocket.

The chooks don't seem to mind and after they laid eggs for 5 weeks they paid for themselves. Every week we have at least 2 dozen eggs extra which some friends have been purchasing. So now the 6 hens are paying for their own feed and putting breakfast on the table.

Now if only I could get my children to lay eggs. Then in would have it made.

I knew there was an interesting story, and that you are able to break even… or even come out ahead puts you head and shoulders ahead of most. As noted prior, your build is quite tasteful for a working budget of five dollars. I for one am very impressed with your strategy going forward, however good luck getting anything from the kids.
wink.png

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom