100% Repurposed Coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicksrcool, Nov 15, 2009.

1. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Hello Fellow BYC'ers....

OK do not laugh, we are on the tightest of tight budgets. And since my youngest are getting too old for this house we turned it into a "chick retreat". I actually love it for them and have to thank my hubby for doing this for us!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If nothing else hope it inspires someone that can't figure out what to do or make in terms of a safehouse. I'm sure someone else has tried this before so probably not a new idea. But it works well!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I think it looks great!!!! [​IMG]

3. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    You know what they say?

Any port in a storm.

Looks good to me.

Great recycling idea.

Litewings

[​IMG]

4. chicksrcool

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Quote:Thanks so much M To the Maxx...it was a family project that we thoroughly enjoyed...and now I don't have to worry about them being safe and secure...they love it [​IMG]

5. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    ha ha! How CUTE! I have been seriously eyeing my kids play house also! I have even added a little wire here and there waiting for protests but none yet. [​IMG] They never use it anymore- its 10 years old. How did you attach the boards to the plastic? I have another one like that also way out in the pasture junk pile.... [​IMG]

6. chicksrcool

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Quote:THANKS Litewings [​IMG]

7. chicksrcool

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Quote:Yeah we did not have a choice but to recycle...and I'm OK with that! [​IMG] (the kids outgrew this long ago)
    Actually he used screws! The plastic on those Little Tikes playhouses are pretty sturdy in that respect.

8. chicksrcool

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    I think hubby is going to make one of the solid pieces of wood into a door on the side(-when they start laying-.) For now they are too young, but we are going to modify it as we go along.

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I think it is adorable!!!

10. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a great idea to me. It is attractive in appearance and weather resistant, what more could a chicken want?
    My very first coop was originally a very large wood shipping box. Your is much nicer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by