100% still alive!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelyn, Nov 17, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Well I set 4 eggs a little over two weeks ago, and last night's candling showed little birds in there swimming around! All are still going, even after a couple of small temp spikes, running out of water one day... dropping one through the toilet paper tube onto the flash light lense during candling.... accidently.

I set them earlier than I intended (too excited!), and didn't write it on the calender!! I *think* it was 3 days early, giving a hatch date of the 24th. We'll see. I was going to add humidity on the 22nd, a little more on the 23rd, in case it's too easrly by a day or two. Then I added another egg, so one is due 3 days after the first three, another reason I wanted to be easy on the humidity.

Not too shabby for a brand new rooster, old hen, cheap incubator, and forgetful human. [​IMG]

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I cant wait to incubate! Hopefully my hubby agrees with me!

3. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I'm using the "someone wants the babies" excuse, which is true! They'll be leaving at 5 days old if they hatch, and if something happens, I have to try again!

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    What kind of little babies you got growing?

5. mandelyn

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    They'll be Quail colored Bantam crosses, 50/50 Old English and Belgian D'Anver... judging by the baby I have from the same cross but different colored rooster, I'll get bearded Quail colored birds on a lighter frame than the D'Anver, but more feather than the OE, while maintaining the tail and wing set on both, they're about the same on my birds. In theory, anyways. They'll be cute though, that's for sure. And if they all get the comb type from the D'Anver, more suitable for the winter. The baby (I need to quit calling her that, she laid an egg!) is like a buff with black penciling I guess you'd say, she's out of a buff colored rooster. My rooster is Quail, so is the momma, so I should get that color on the chicks with the body and feather type of the baby "example" pullet.

In theory. [​IMG]

6. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Good luck on your hatch [​IMG]

I have some of my EEs in and all are still growing. They are due the 23rd of Nov. I will candleing again tonight just to make sure they are all ok.

7. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

I can hardly wait to move to this stage of 'chickening'. I've told the Hubs I want an incubator for Christmas!

Georgia in Alabama

8. I want to incubate again! Hubby said not to look for any eggs...I might get more then I can handle for XMAS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by