100 watt ceramic is useless!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RAnst4038, Aug 13, 2014.

1. RAnst4038

RAnst4038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Jacobus, Pa
    Bought two of these black 100 watt ceramic infrared heaters on ebay.
    Set 8 inches from floor with thermometer under it for an hour.
    The thermometer didn't get above room temp. Can't feel anything on back of hand farther than 2" away.
    Conclusion; they are worthless. What should I try next? 44 good eggs in bator, room 90 in day, 80 at night.

[​IMG]

2. ktn65

ktn65 Out Of The Brooder

Are you opposed to using a regular red 250 watt heat lamp bulb?

Tonight I had to move one of my 2 week old CXs to an isolation brooder and only had a regular 100 bulb. The ambient temp in the room was 72. Mounted the light about 8 inches above floor where the temp is now 90.

3. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    Several regular incandescent (old fashioned) light bulbs might work for you, too, in a pinch. We had a set up using two regular light bulbs. One was always on, the other came on an off regulated by a thermostat. I could be wrong, but my recollection is that infrared heaters are designed to heat living things, not air and inanimate objects.

I don't know how they work that way, but I have an infrared heater that is awesome for warming me on cold days when I'm about a foot away from it in my living room (and the cats fling themselves in front of it until I think they are going to fry their brains), but they just barely heat the sofa and the air. Yours might be good to use mounted over a brooder, but not for incubation. Just a thought... Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by