1000 Things that can go wrong with your chicken.

scooter16

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Pittsboro, NC
Hi everyone. I have been reading up on chicken illnesses, looking at pictures of home surgeries, and taking notes on medications, dosages and vaccines. I like pictures, step by step and details, being an RN myself. Does anyone know of a chicken book out there that has all this information compiled in ONE book? I have filled a notebook up, and run the ink out of my printer on articles. There are threads giving mls of liquid medicine, but the medication comes in different strengths. Example: Give Liquid Metacam 0.6mls every day x 1 week, but it comes as 0.5mg/ml AND 1.5mg/ml. A dosage in mls confuses me, whereas mg's can always be figured out. I challenge one of you experts to write a book with pictures-all inclusive of major chicken issues, and I will be first in line for it. Thanks for any input. Lynn Marie

Hi everyone. I have been reading up on chicken illnesses, looking at pictures of home surgeries, and taking notes on medications, dosages and vaccines. I like pictures, step by step and details, being an RN myself. Does anyone know of a chicken book out there that has all this information compiled in ONE book? I have filled a notebook up, and run the ink out of my printer on articles. There are threads giving mls of liquid medicine, but the medication comes in different strengths. Example: Give Liquid Metacam 0.6mls every day x 1 week, but it comes as 0.5mg/ml AND 1.5mg/ml. A dosage in mls confuses me, whereas mg's can always be figured out. I challenge one of you experts to write a book with pictures-all inclusive of major chicken issues, and I will be first in line for it. Thanks for any input. Lynn Marie
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chicken_health_handbook.html This is what I have. It is a really good book. It is probably not what you are looking for, but it is good to have.
chicken_health_handbook_main.jpg

Thanks Top Knot. I did see that book on line. I am wishing more for a book with before and after pictures and step by step pics of injuries/surgeries with tips from people with firsthand experience. Such as Ruth's bumblefoot surgery. That is an awesome thread. I know one can find any info they need on this site, but it is all over on different threads. I will check out the avian medic. site when up--Thanks Casportpony. Maybe my multiple notebooks will have to do. Lynn Marie

Like you, I really wish there was an all inclusive "do it yourself" book with info on how to do bumbles, sinus surgeries, tube feed, etc. But more importantly, I'd like to see one that also had correct dosing info. Since such a book doesn't exist yet, I have purchased the following:

This one is free online:
Penn State Poultry Health Handbook
http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/agrs52.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom