105 degrees today... my golden comet seems to disagree with the heat!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adbayer, Aug 4, 2010.

1. adbayer

adbayer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    help please!

i didnt make it outside today before dark, and when i did get out there, i thought i had lost another golden comet... poor girl was curled up, halfway in the waterer...
    only moved when i went to poke her with my stick i use to scoot my broody hen over. then she kinda sorta wobbled up, scooted over, poo'd a LOT, and then kinda wandered very slowly over to the corner under the roosts. i dumped the water out and cleaned it and was filling it up, and misted everyone down(its 11:43 pm, and still 90 degrees) and it made my barred rock mad, and she flew down from roost and landed next to the golden comet, who then freaked out and ran and flung her head about a few different ways a few feet, then kinda settled back down. i gathered my eggs and left them alone... i have never seen them act like that....? any clues as to what it might be??? it was so weird, she was stumbling around like she had been knocked out and just woke up....?

my barred rock is my heavier breed i thought, and yet the golden comets seem to be having the most trouble with the heat. i think i will be putting misters out tomorrow. i lost my other golden comet a few weeks ago, we went out mid morning and she was in the middle of the pen, with her head at a weird angle dead. [​IMG] idk what to do!!

i would very much so appreciate your help!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I know it won't last long in 105 degree heat, but when it got near 100 here I filled the waterers with ice and put frozen plastic bottles about the run. I also set a fan with frozen bottles in front of it.
    Hope your bird is okay.

3. adbayer

Jun 6, 2010
    ya, my mom puts ice out in their water several times a day, i might try to do that more with my girls. i give them ice every now and then, but i am going to try to do it more.
    also, i think i will go buy some two liters tomorrow and fill them with water and freeze them and lay them about. thanks so much for the ideas!
    i really appreciate the feedback!

4. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    it's been triple digits here for 2 weeks now, I let them out early and keep fresh cold water out. there is a box fan that blows right on the laying boxes. I keep it on all day and night. they also have a covered coop.

5. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    we froze a gallon milk jug and put in front of the fan,,,,redneck ac!

6. adbayer

Jun 6, 2010
    we have a 10x10 chainlink pen for them, and it is 3/4 of the way covered(with bamboo, breeze gets in). their nesting boxes are raised, and i keep their feed and water in the shade all day.
    i cant let my girls out during the day, only right before dark, because of my veggie garden. but my coop isnt in a barn or what not, but i think i will put a box fan out, and just go collect it when it rains.
    the poor chickens!! i feel so bad for them. i have a ton of newborn/size one diapers, and i keep eyeballing them, and myhusbands just says- NO! we are not bringing the chickens in the house! IDC if you have diapers!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by