1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

105 degrees! Yikes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lagerdogger, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I started a Hovabator with 41 chickens last week. I let it run for two days to set the temperature. The day after I put the eggs in was a very sunny warm day, and the room with the incubator got a little warm. When I got home from work, the thermometer that I trust the most said 104.7. I was sure I cooked the whole batch! I took off the lid to cool things down, and got them back to about 100. When I checked about an hour later it was 102 (residual heat in eggs?) So I took the lid off again and baby sat them for about an hour until I liked the temperature. Then I turned the heater on for that room so that the room wouldn't cool if the weather got cold again (Good thing too. 3" of snow and still falling).

I candled them at day 7, expecting to see a bunch of dead eggs. I found one unfertilized, one blood ring, and one with a large air sack because the shell was cracked. The rest all look good.

Since then temps have been very steady.

Can anyone tell me if this batch is likely to suffer any developmental or hatching effects from a first day spike?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

If they are still alive you should be ok.

3. luluch10

luluch10 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Silk Hope, NC
    Our temperature went up really high with some our duck eggs, 110 the other night not sure what happened to that incubator it had been holding steady at 100 for so long. We have been candling regularly since then and so far most are still moving around very well. I am afraid we may have cooked a couple though, will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

4. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:I am no expert, but I agree here. My incubator has spiked a couple times to around 102, which is not very high. But with my old drafty house, and Missouri weather, I have to keep an eye on my incubator and sometime adjust up or down slightly to keep the temp at 100. I am using a LG that I got from someone that had it stored for 7 years or more, good luck with your hatch.

5. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I am not an expert either but on the hatch I am doing right now I got a temperature spike up to 105, too. A chick hatched and it has no defects. So I am thinking they will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by