106 !I think I toasted my eggs;0(

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
My first attempt in my Hovabator 292. Yesterday I found it at 104! I had made slight adjsutments, down as it had been creping up to 102 and 103 form 100. But getting my new copy of Storeys guide to ducks, I'd read it could go up some each week. This morning it was 106
ep.gif
... I have new ducklings in the same room under two brooder lights and wondered if that was affecting it, as the room is staying very warm.... I already had some duds..... Double RATS!!!!!

Sorry to hear about you temp mishap. I did the exact same thing 3 weeks ago. My temp was a little low so I adjusted it just a touch- or so I thought-. I came back in a few hours later to find that my temp was over 115!!! I almost cried. I ruined the whole batch. I candled them all the next day and they were all dead. I am on my second incubation now. they are scheduled to hatch on the 14th. So far So good. If this incubation goes well, I may order a thermostat for my current Little Giant Still Air Incubator. That way, my temp will stay regulated without me having to adjust it. It's just too stressful to worry about the temp.
sad.png

Still air , Hovabator. I have read that Dave Holderreads book says he increase temp to 102 2nd week (I believe without rechecking book,) then 103 third week ,then brings it down at around hatch time).....He says still air need to be higher than those with a fan.... Yesterday at 104 I cooled than brought it down, got to 99 and then thought I just turned it a bit to get back up to 100-101... but it was also warmer in day then night ,even though it is in the house, and I have 2 brooders lights in room with new Holderread babies, so when I open the door it was several degrees warmer in there.
I cooled them down right away, but had to go to Mothers day stuff, so it was 97 when I got back (like 5 hours later) (only had about an hour to adjust it and guessed too cool
th.gif
> now I am trying to get it back.
Today is Day 19....and I was having difficulty candeling some of the eggs... wasn't sure about half of them. I set 42 from 3 ducks, but wasn't not sure of fertility of one of my ganders......And I saving eggs for up to two weeks, keep them cool in crawlspace in a bag/in a box like in DH book, and started turning the week old ones. But I had 3 infertile at 7 days I was sure of. And 6 at 12 days. I saw movement in a few, and some I just can't see into.
There are several things I wouldn't do again. Like I cooled 15 min. the first week, but then I got DH book and he says only 4-6 the second week , 6-8 the third, and not at all the first week.....
hide.gif
Also I should have optimized the nutrition, but only had them on layer pellets with some greens and oyster shell.....
Well, I guess if any survive, I need to keep them for breeding as they are one tough duckling.....
barnie.gif

I had an issue last week in my hatcher and it was at 106 for about 5 or 6 hours on day 19 and I had 4 dozen Welsummer eggs and 4 were infertile. With this spike in temperature only 24 hatched out of 44 eggs. Everyone was fully developed and everything else was fine, temp was 99 in hatcher, humidity was around 55%. I hope everything works out!

Nate

Incubating 10 peacock eggs for a friend. switch failed (sportsman 1202) backup switch was installed backwards and didn't contact thermostat wafer. temp went up to 110F overnight. Just put them in yesterday. I repaired the incubator today,fixed backwards switch and replaced the primary switch and wafer. Keeping my fingers crossed. My friend paided $25 per egg.

Back
Top Bottom