106 temperature in my constipated 3 month old chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by earthfriendlyfarm, Jun 22, 2009.

1. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    Does anyone know what a normal chicken temperature is? My buff 3 month old is chronic constipated and I was about to call uga but they are 2 1/2 hour drive one way and I took her temperature to be prepared to answer questions and now I am very upset to find it is 106. What can I do to get it down quick?

2. hawtchick

hawtchick Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I guess we made need more info, but what makes you think she is constipated? Have you tried adding apple cider vinegar in her water?
    Is she eating and drinking normally?
    What is she on for feed?

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:You don't know what the normal temp is but you do know you want to "get it down quick"?
    Good luck with that-106 is the normal temp!

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    that temp is well within the "normal" range for a chicken (normal is up to 107) so no worries about the temp.
    As you give no other details on what is wrong with your bird other than "constipation" (do you mean she has not poeped in a day or so??) then I can not even attempt to surmise what may be the problem... her temperature is not.

5. earthfriendlyfarm

earthfriendlyfarm In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Ellijay
    Okay, so found a local Vet who works with Chickens. Took "Lil Eagle" in and he found she may have a viral infections with a secondary bacterial infection of the intestinal tract. Her temp was 107 by the time I got her there.Symptom of viral. She has had chronic constipation for 2 months. It gets better then worse, but at times she is impacted, I have to dig it out and administer a warm water enema. Which atleast would help with her severe straining. Poor baby! He thinks she could have a section of bowel that doesn't have the parastalsis it should. And then with me aiding her in eliminating enough to get her unblocked to go, could have caused a tear where bacteria got in and hence the secondary bacterial infections. So after a good exam, we decided to give her is Baytril liquid 1cc orally every othyer day for 3 times to try to get the viral symptoms undercontrol. and Banamine 0.3 ml twice daily for up to 2 weeks for the bacterial infection.

Plus we are adding to support her recovery, metamucil to soften her stools, B6,B12 and folic acid to make sure she is not suffering from white meat disease and what ever she doesn't use will just be eliminated. Vitamine E 1000mg twice a day to help repair intestinal tract, add pumpkin to food along with parakeet grit, yogurt inbetween the anitbiotic treatments and vaseline put on her butt. I think that is it.

I feel much better and I think she does too. On the way home, I was putting cool wet clothes under her wings and neck/tummy and she started to get pretty perky and ate a bunch of her starter mash. I just got to get her drinking more. I just checked her temperature and went from 107.4 down to 105 in 2 + hours.

Thanks for your help and support. Hope this helps some else.

6. hawtchick

hawtchick Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I am concerned that you are cooling her off and she is not feverish. That could make her feel worse.
    Yogurt, apple cider vinegar and probiotics are all great items to have on hand and help treat tummy and poo issues as well.
    Plain yogurt is a great snack for them and helps keep things running smoothly.Good luck!!

7. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I'm not sure earthfriendlyfarm read these reply's?

8. hawtchick

hawtchick Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I am guessing not, but I was just saying it again out of worry.

9. chickendude

chickendude Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I'm glad you did!

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Antibiotics are of no use in treating viral infections so I think you need a better vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: