107 degree temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    Oh boy, I went to bed last night around 1:30 my little giant still air bater was on 102 and at 50% humidity, this morning when I woke up it was on 107 at around 9:00 did I cook my eggs? Should I toss them and start over, or give it a try?[​IMG]

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Do you have a wiggler? How old are the eggs?

3. MRW

MRW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Gales Ferry, CT
    Hopefully they weren't on that temp for too long? I would still try. Candle in a day or so maybe? But maybe someone more knowledgeable might have some better advice?

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If it was a quick rise and for short duration you may not have hurt anything. If you have a sensor in a water wiggler and the temp was reading that high, then it would be a sign that temps had been like that for some time and some losses should be expected.

5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    No I don't have a wigler, I have two batches of eggs in there. One batch is 6 days old and the other batch was just put in there.

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Ok that is good to hear. If it was a probe in a wiggler it would represent temperature in the egg rather than air temperature like you are reading. Air temperature swings take quite some time to effect internal egg temperature.

I would keep going and just candle in a few days.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, keep going and see if they continue to develop/develop at all. I had a spike of air T of 114 once on day 14... I still managed to get one chick out of 12 eggs.

8. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I agree, keep going and see if they continue to develop/develop at all. I had a spike of air T of 114 once on day 14... I still managed to get one chick out of 12 eggs.

I have about 50 eggs in there

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Then you still might have a chance of more than one pestering lone chick! [​IMG] The bator I was using at the time was a cardboard box contraption assembled by a 14 year old self at the time. You might even have better luck since you actually have an incubator... and I just had a light hanging over the box....

Since you have eggs on day 6, in a few days, like day 8, get a really bright flashlight or candler and see if you can't find veins. If you can, they are alive and well, if you find a big blood ring, then you know what happened.

10. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i had a temp spike of 105 in my little giant and still had some viable eggs.
    i would keep going - you never know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by