107 Degrees today....Misters??

remuda1

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Granbury, Texas
Do your birds ever actually get under the misters? Mine act like the sky is falling if they get near them. Are they generally just used to cool the area off and not the birds directly? New to this and surprised that they are not living under them with these temps..... It's brutal out there.

Kristi

**I use sprinklers and have a big pan that has a little water in it so they can splash around in the water (and they love it).
**Also PLENTY of shade is a MUST!
**Ice cubes in the water helps a lot
**Also I freeze bottles of water, then wrap in an old shirt and place in the shade so they can lay on or near them
** and the best is FROZEN treats (Frozen Greens that you buy in the grocery freezer section, Frozen Fruit, mix plain yogurt with fresh fruit and then freeze it)

Best Wishes,
Laura

Thanks all. They've gotten watermelon, sprinkler, wet sand, mister and wet mash, along with lots of shade and plenty of ventilation. They also lay under their hanging waterer. I was just wondering if any of your chicks actually use the misters, like run under them or bathe in them like wild birds and my cockatiel do. They've not shown ANY interest in doing that so far and I found that odd
hu.gif

Quote:
Guess I didnt' read this right my bad. I also bought a sprinkler the other day that oscillates but they haven't used it yet. But you know how chickens are scaredy cats about new stuff. I'll give them more time. I'm getting them a hard plastic wading pool next. Its freaking hot here in Texas but it always is.

Ya like i said above...mine use the sprinkler and big watering dish i put out for them to wade in .....I had to put them in the first time,but now they do it on their own

Great question and thank you for posting it! We are newbies too and have watched and worried about what exactly to do for our poor birds out there in the 106 degree weather. We happened on the idea of watermelon on our own, but the other ideas are great! Thank you all for answering!

I keep pans of water out for them to stand in. The other day we accidently found out that they love to roll in mud too.
roll.png
Cold treats, fresh cool water, and plenty of shade have kept them cool so far.

My chickens sit under the mister off and on during the day. They look so funny with the water beaded on their feathers.
I'm located in North Central Texas & it's been hotter than all get out for a month, now. Praying for some rain, today.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom