107 Degrees today....Misters??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by remuda1, Jun 18, 2011.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Do your birds ever actually get under the misters? Mine act like the sky is falling if they get near them. Are they generally just used to cool the area off and not the birds directly? New to this and surprised that they are not living under them with these temps..... It's brutal out there.

Kristi

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    **I use sprinklers and have a big pan that has a little water in it so they can splash around in the water (and they love it).
    **Also PLENTY of shade is a MUST!
    **Ice cubes in the water helps a lot
    **Also I freeze bottles of water, then wrap in an old shirt and place in the shade so they can lay on or near them
    ** and the best is FROZEN treats (Frozen Greens that you buy in the grocery freezer section, Frozen Fruit, mix plain yogurt with fresh fruit and then freeze it)

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Cold watermelon or cantaloupe mine love it & leave the seeds in.

4. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Thanks all. They've gotten watermelon, sprinkler, wet sand, mister and wet mash, along with lots of shade and plenty of ventilation. They also lay under their hanging waterer. I was just wondering if any of your chicks actually use the misters, like run under them or bathe in them like wild birds and my cockatiel do. They've not shown ANY interest in doing that so far and I found that odd [​IMG]

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Guess I didnt' read this right my bad. I also bought a sprinkler the other day that oscillates but they haven't used it yet. But you know how chickens are scaredy cats about new stuff. I'll give them more time. I'm getting them a hard plastic wading pool next. Its freaking hot here in Texas but it always is.

6. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Ya like i said above...mine use the sprinkler and big watering dish i put out for them to wade in .....I had to put them in the first time,but now they do it on their own

7. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    mine freaked out at first, but now they come running to be misted. funny little critters [​IMG]

8. janbcoo1

janbcoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    NE Oklahoma City
    Great question and thank you for posting it! We are newbies too and have watched and worried about what exactly to do for our poor birds out there in the 106 degree weather. We happened on the idea of watermelon on our own, but the other ideas are great! Thank you all for answering!

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I keep pans of water out for them to stand in. The other day we accidently found out that they love to roll in mud too. [​IMG] Cold treats, fresh cool water, and plenty of shade have kept them cool so far.

10. AmyL

AmyL New Egg

Aug 1, 2009
    North Central Texas
    My chickens sit under the mister off and on during the day. They look so funny with the water beaded on their feathers.
    I'm located in North Central Texas & it's been hotter than all get out for a month, now. Praying for some rain, today.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by