107 F. can i please have som thoughts? thanks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roosterfry, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Roosterfry

Roosterfry Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    That temperature was totally an accident. My incubator is regulated by air vents and I apparently closed to many last night it slowly reached 98.5 last night one hour after I adjusted it so I went to bed at 11:30 and woke up to check it at 8:30 am., hoping to be real close to 100... Nope 107! These are valuable black copper maran eggs. But I have more and ge more everyday from my hens. My time is more valuable then waiting to see if I might get one or two chicks out of this. I'm considering tossing all the eggs out or giving them to a friend with a huge incubator who runs it all the time with various projects. these eggs have been incubation for one week. And thoughts? Thanks In advance!!!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

It takes several hours to raise the internal temp of an egg, so I'm not sure - in that 9 hours how long was it at 109?

Did you open it? how hot was it? like an oven or just a little warm?

(the answer would help determine how long its been hot)

Was all of your water evaporated? If not was most of it left?

If most of it was left and it was not a 'wall of oven heat' hitting you you'll likely be ok- if the water was gone and opening it reminded you of a 112*F Arizonian day transfer the eggs to your friend?

3. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Quote:ii

I don't see a lot of water missing, but I did open a vent and open the top lid for about a minute to let all the hot air out, I did feel a hot humid breath hit me when I opened it. But what concerns me the most is, 30 mins later even after opening the lid for a minute letting all the air escape and opening the top vent the tempo was at 105,00 which tell me the eggs where still holding some of that extra heat, not just the air. So what would long term exposure to for several hours at 105 and 107 do?

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Proteins start to denature (fall apart) at 105*F - too much hotter and they may not go back together correctly-

like when you cook and egg, it changes - forever...

There are many many reports here of 110*F spikes and survived eggs, if you can wait a little longer you can check for movement around day ?? oh- I forgot not sure anymore but its like 2.5 ish weeks... and that would only be a coupe days??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denaturation_(biochemistry)

http://class.fst.ohio-state.edu/FST822/lectures/Denat.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100508150644AA4Hu5X

It's good the air was humid.

5. quetsweyo

quetsweyo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    I am no expert but I thought I had lost all my duck eggs last week coz during our 90+ temps here last week I went in to check and incubator( cheap ) was 113F. Screamed out loud. Cooled em down, checked next night and they were still rockin and rollin when i candled them. So please give them some more time and like the others, who know more than me, candle em in a week and see. Good luck with your Marans! Quetsweyo

6. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I live in MS. We have a lot of ambient humidity, and here lately, our heat index has been around 113 degrees outside. Gross. Anyway, my incubator was inside, but it still got too hot. It reached 108, and out of all the oldest ones, all but 3 died.

7. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had temperatures go as high as 110 degrees towards the end of the hatch. Out of 25 eggs that were looking good, 9 hatched. I blame the temperature spike.

I'd leave them in and see how it goes. You might just get lucky and get a few eggs to hatch in spite of it.

Blessings-
    Em

8. Roosterfry

Nov 26, 2010
    North Mississippi
    Thank you all very much for the comments, I'm going to take all these thoughts into consideration!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by